The clinical ramifications of polycystic ovarian morphology in oocyte donors
- 163 Downloads
To determine the relationship between Polycystic Ovary (PCO) morphology and In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) outcome in oocyte donation cycles.
Cross sectional study
Private IVF clinic
164 consecutive ovum donors and their recipients were reviewed, 149 were included in the study where 113 patients had normal ovarian morphology and 36 patients had PCO morphology.
All donors underwent ovarian stimulation in conjunction with GnRH agonist or antagonist in standard fashion.
Main Outcome Measures
Baseline donor characteristics were recorded, as well as details of IVF stimulation and embryo data. Recipient data on pregnancy and miscarriage were also collected.
Patients with PCO ovaries had significantly higher peak estradiol levels and required less gonadotropins during IVF stimulation. In addition, the baseline characteristics between donor groups did not differ except for ovarian morphology. The number of oocytes retrieved and indicators of embryo quality did not differ between the two groups, and there was no significant difference between pregnancy and miscarriage rates in the recipients.
Oocyte donors with PCO morphology have equivalent pregnancy rates and do not need to be excluded as potential donors.
KeywordsPolycystic ovary morphology Polycystic ovary syndrome Oocyte donation
- 3.Azziz R, Carmina E, Dewailly D, Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Escobar-Morreale HF, Futterweit W, Janssen OE, Legro RS, Norman RJ, Taylor AE, Witchel SF. Positions statement: criteria for defining polycystic ovary syndrome as a predominantly hyperandrogenic syndrome: an Androgen Excess Society guideline. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2006;91(11):4237–45.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Azziz R, Carmina E, Dewailly D, Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Escobar-Morreale HF, Futterweit W, Janssen OE, Legro RS, Norman RJ, Taylor AE, Witchel SF. The Androgen Excess and PCOS Society criteria for the polycystic ovary syndrome: The complete task force report. Fertility and sterility. 2009;91(2):456–88.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Dewailly D, Gronier H, Poncelet E, Robin G, Leroy M, Pigny P, Duhamel A, Catteau-Jonard S. Diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): revisiting the threshold values of follicle count on ultrasound and of the serum AMH level for the definition of polycystic ovaries. Hum Reprod. 2011;26(11):3123–9.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Dor J, Shulman A, Levran D, Ben-Rafael Z, Rudak E, Mashiach S. The treatment of patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome by in-vitro fertilization and embryo transfer: a comparison of results with those of patients with tubal infertility. Human reproduction (Oxford, England). 1990;5(7):816–8.Google Scholar
- 9.Dunaif A (1992) Polycystic ovary syndrome. Current issues in endocrinology and metabolism. Blackwell Scientific Publications; Distributors, USA and Canada, Mosby-Year Book, Boston, St. Louis, Mo.Google Scholar
- 11.Engmann L, DiLuigi A, Schmidt D, Nulsen J, Maier D, Benadiva C. The use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist to induce oocyte maturation after cotreatment with GnRH antagonist in high-risk patients undergoing in vitro fertilization prevents the risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome: a prospective randomized controlled study. Fertility and sterility. 2008;89(1):84–91.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Legro RS, Barnhart HX, Schlaff WD, Carr BR, Diamond MP, Carson SA, Steinkampf MP, Coutifaris C, McGovern PG, Cataldo NA, Gosman GG, Nestler JE, Giudice LC, Leppert PC, Myers ER. Clomiphene, metformin, or both for infertility in the polycystic ovary syndrome. The New England journal of medicine. 2007;356(6):551–66.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Swanton A, Lighten A, Granne I, McVeigh E, Lavery S, Trew G, Talmor A, Raine-Fenning N, Jayaprakasan K, Child T. Do women with ovaries of polycystic morphology without any other features of PCOS benefit from short-term metformin co-treatment during IVF? A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Human reproduction (Oxford, England). 2011;26(8):2178–84.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Tso LO, Costello MF, Albuquerque LE, Andriolo RB, Freitas V. Metformin treatment before and during IVF or ICSI in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Cochrane database of systematic reviews (Online). 2009;2:CD006105.Google Scholar
- 24.Wong IL, Morris RS, Lobo RA, Paulson RJ, Sauer MV. Isolated polycystic morphology in ovum donors predicts response to ovarian stimulation. Human reproduction (Oxford, England). 1995;10(3):524–8.Google Scholar