Long Y chromosome is not a fetal loss risk
- 79 Downloads
To assess the long Y chromosome genetic effect on human pregnancy outcomes.
We studied all records of pregnancies by human sperm donors after artificial insemination or in vitro fertilization at the Reproductive and Genetic Hospital of Citic-Xiangya. Fetal losses were compared from two groups of sperm donors: the observation group (with long Y chromosome) and the control group (without long Y chromosome).
2885 pregnancies were achieved with donor sperm by artificial insemination and 1746 by in vitro fertilization. The rates of fetal loss, congenital malformation and donor fecundity in the observation group after both assisted reproductive technique were the same as for the control group.
A long Y chromosome may therefore be considered as a normal variant.
KeywordsCongenital malformation Donor fecundity rate Fetal loss Long Y chromosome Sperm donors
- 2.Bhasin MK. Human population cytogenetics: a review. Int J Hum Genet. 2005;5:83–152.Google Scholar
- 5.Human cytogenetics: constitutional analysis. Rooney DE, editors. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2001. p. 4.Google Scholar
- 6.Mattei MG, Luciani J. Heterochromatin, from chromosome to protein. Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol. 2003;7:284–99.Google Scholar
- 10.Shen WY. 152 cases of Y chromosome length in Han ethnic population. kong jun zong yi yuan xue bao. 1989;5:3.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhaowen D. Cytogentical study on a family with big y chromosome. Hereditas. 1984;6:2.Google Scholar
- 12.Yi L. Karyotyping analysis on 447 couples with fetal loss history in Jinan Region. Chin J Birth Health Hered. 1999;7:3.Google Scholar
- 17.World Health Organization. WHO laboratory manual for the examination of human semen and sperm–cervical mucus interactions. 4th ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1999.Google Scholar
- 18.Zhu WB, Lu GX. Influence of different proportioning cryoprotectant on viability of Post-Thaw human spermatozoa. Fertil Steril. 2005;84:S216.Google Scholar
- 19.Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China announcement on modifying the guidelines, rules, and ethics principles of human sperm bank. Bulletin of Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China 2003Google Scholar
- 21.Benn P, Delach J. Human lymphocyte culture and chromosome analysis. Cold Spring Harb Protoc, 2008; doi: 10.1101/pdb.prot5035.
- 22.Zhou HG, Xia JH, Zhang SZ. Human chromosome 1987;1:61.Google Scholar
- 31.Bishop A, Blank CE, Hunter H. Heritable variation in the human Y chromosome. Lancet 1962;18–20Google Scholar
- 33.Park J, Antley RM. C-band chromosomal polymorphism in Orientals. Am J Hum Genet. 1974;26:65A.Google Scholar