Evaluation of sperm’s chromatin quality with acridine orange test, chromomycin A3 and aniline blue staining in couples with unexplained recurrent abortion
To evaluate the sperm’s chromatin quality in couples with spontaneous recurrent abortion.
Thirty couples with spontaneous recurrent abortion (case group) and 30 fertile couples (control group) referring to Zeinabieh Gynecology clinic of Shiraz were included. Semen samples were collected for each participant and were used for standard semen analysis and sperm nuclear maturity tests including Chromomycin A3 (CMA3), Aniline Blue (AB) staining and Acridine Orange (AO) test (by light microscopy).
Patients in case group had significantly higher percentage of CMA3 (p < 0.001) and AB (p < 0.001) positive spermatozoa compared to controls. However AO results did not differ significantly between groups (p = 0.656). Sperm morphology and progressive motility were negatively correlated with CMA3 (p = 0.001 and p = 0.043) and AB (p = 0.015 and p = 0.031) respectively.
Evaluation of the sperm’s quality via CMA3 and AB staining could be considered as one of the complementary tests of semen analysis for assessment of male factor in couples with spontaneous recurrent abortion.
KeywordsSpontaneous recurrent abortion Chromomycin A3 (CMA3) Aniline blue (AB) Acridine orange (AO)
The authors wish to thank all the couples who participated in this study.
- 5.Scientific Advisory Committee of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. The management of recurrent miscarriage. RCOG ‘Green-top’ Guideline No. 17, 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.World Health Organization. Laboratory manual for the examination of human semen and sperm-cervical mucus interaction. 4th ed. Cambrige: Cambridge University Press; 1999.Google Scholar
- 23.Hammadeh ME, Stieber M, Haidle G, Schmidt W. Assocciation between sperm cell chromatin condensation, morphology based on strict criteria and fertilization, cleavage and pregnancy rates in an IVF program. J Androl. 1998;30:29–35.Google Scholar
- 25.Hammadeh ME, Al-Hassani S, Stieber M, Rosenbaum P, Kupker D, Diedrich K, et al. The effect of chromatin condensation (aniline blue staining and morphology “strict criteria”) of human spermatozoa fertilization, cleavage and pregnancy rates in an intracytoplasmic sperm injection program. Hum Reprod. 1996;11:2468–71.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Sakkas D, Urner F, Bizzaro D, Manicardi G, Bianchi PG, Shoukir Y, et al. Sperm nuclear DNA damage and altered chromatin structure: effect on fertilization and embryo development. Hum Repord. 1998;13(suppl 4):11–9.Google Scholar
- 28.Hofmann N, Hilscher B. Use of aniline blue to assess chromatin condensation in morphologically normal spermatozoa in normal and infertile men. Hum Repord. 1991;6(7):979–82.Google Scholar