Spectrophotometric determination of norepinephrine with sodium iodate and determination of its acidity constants
- 135 Downloads
A spectrophotometric method is proposed for the determination of norepinephrine (NE) and its bitartrate salts. The method was based on the development of a red color (λmax = 495 nm) with sodium iodate in aqueous alcoholic medium at pH 5. The color was stable for at least 4 hrs. The molar reacting ratio of NE to sodium iodate was 1:4. A linear relationship was obtained between the absorption intensity and NE concentration in the range of 3.384–37.224 μg/ml with detection limit of 0.067 μg/ml and correlation coefficient of 0.9972. The present work facilitated the determination of the three acidity constants, 7.564 ± 0.02, 9.036 ± 0.034, and 10.761 ± 0.023. The reaction mechanism was also described. The proposed method was successfully applied for the determination of NE in pharmaceutical formulations. Results for analysis of bulk drugs and injections agree with those of official methods.
Keywordsnorepinephrine acidity constants oxidation iodate spectrophotometry pharmaceuticals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. G. Katzung, Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, 6th ed., Appleton & Lange, Connecticut, (1995).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Mazloum-Ardakani, H. Rajabi, H. Beitollahi, B. B. F. Mirjalili, A. Akbari, and N. Taghavinia, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci, 5, 147 (2010).Google Scholar
- 20.R. T. Sane, P. M. Deshpande, C. L. Sawant, S. M. Dolas, V. G. Nayak, and S. S. Zarapkar, Indian Drugs, 24, 199 (1987).Google Scholar
- 24.M. E. El-Kommos, F. A. Mohamed, and A. S. Khedr, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem., 73, 516 (1990).Google Scholar
- 30.J. C. Miller and J. N. Miller, Statistics for Analytical Chemistry, Wiley-VCH, New York, (1984).Google Scholar
- 31.R. A. Heacock, in Advances in Heterocyclic Chemistry, Eds. A. R. Katritzky, A. J. Boulton, and J. M. Lagowski Academic Press, New York, (1965), p. 17.Google Scholar
- 32.R. A. Heacock and W. S. Powell, in Progress in Medicinal Chemistry, Eds. G. P. Ellis, G. B. West, North-Holland, Amsterdam, (1973), p. 291.Google Scholar