Eye-safe radiation source based on an optical parametric oscillator
- 24 Downloads
We have studied an optical parametric oscillator (OPO) with an unstable telescopic cavity, placed inside the cavity of an actively Q-switched multimode Nd3+:KGW pump laser. We used a KTP crystal as the nonlinear medium for the OPO. We have compared the emission characteristics of OPOs with unstable telescopic and planar cavities. We have established that compared with the planar cavity, the unstable cavity reduces the OPO beam divergence and improves the spatial distribution of the radiation energy in the far wave zone. Based on our investigations, we have designed a compact eye-safe (λ = 1.578 µm) laser source with natural cooling, emitting (for electrical pumping energy 7.3 J) pulses with pulse energy 22 mJ and pulse duration 6 nsec. The FWHM beam divergence for the source is no greater than 3.5 mrad.
Key wordseye-safe radiation intracavity optical parametric oscillator unstable telescopic cavity KTP crystal Nd:KGW pump laser
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T. Chuang, J. Kasinski, and H. R. Verdun, in: Advanced Solid-State Lasers [S. A. Payne and C. R. Pollock, eds.]. Volume 1 of OSA Trends in Optics and Photonics Series (Optical Society of America), Washington DC (1996), pp. 179–181.Google Scholar
- 5.V. A. Orlovich, P. A. Ananasevich, S. A. Batishche et al., Opt. Zh., 67, No. 11, 64–72 (2000).Google Scholar
- 6.B. B. Sevruk, V. N. Belyi, D. E. Gakhovich, and V. A. Orlovich, Zh. Prikl. Spektr., 67, 56–60 (2000).Google Scholar
- 7.G. A. Rines, D. M. Rines, and P. F. Moulton, in: Advanced Solid-State Lasers [T. Y. Fan and B. H. Chai, eds.]. Volume 20 of OSA Proceedings Series (Optical Society of America), Washington DC (1994), pp. 461–463.Google Scholar
- 8.R. D. Stultz, M. E. Ehritz, J. S. Sorce, and E. Gregor, in: Advanced Solid-State Lasers [B. H. Chai and S. A. Payne, eds.]. Volume 24 of OSA Proceedings Series (Optical Society of America), Washington DC (1995), pp. 191–193.Google Scholar
- 9.J. C. McCarthy and N. H. Stratham, US Patent T US 2004/0012841A1 (2004).Google Scholar
- 12.W. A. Neuman and S. P. Velsko, in: Advanced Solid-State Lasers [S. A. Payne and C. R. Pollock, eds.]. Volume 1 of OSA Trends in Optics and Photonics Series (Optical Society of America), Washington DC (1996), pp. 179–181.Google Scholar
- 13.J. N. Farmer, M. S. Bowers, and W. S. Scharpf, in: Advanced Solid-State Lasers [M. M. Feyer, H. Injeyan, and U. Keller, eds.]. Volume 26 of OSA Trends in Optics and Photonics Series (Optical Society of America), Washington DC (1999), pp. 567–571.Google Scholar
- 18.A. A. Kaminskii, S. E. Sarkisov, A. A. Pavlyuk, and V. V. Lyubchenko, Neorg. Mater., 16, 720–728 (1980).Google Scholar
- 20.Yu. A. Anan’ev, Optical Resonant Cavities and Laser Beams [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1990), p. 211.Google Scholar
- 21.P. A. Ananasevich, V. V. Kvach, V. G. Kontev, V. A. Orlovich, A. A. Stavrov, and A. P. Shkadarevich, Qvant. Élektron., 14, 265–270 (1987).Google Scholar