Potentiometric and Coulometric Determination of 5-Phenyl-1,3,4-Oxadiazole-2-Thiol
- 44 Downloads
A method for the determination of 5-phenyl-1,3,4-oxadiazole-2-thiol involving its reaction with iodine in an alkaline medium has been presented. In volumetric titration with potentiometric endpoint detection, the determination range is 25–500 µmol. In coulometric titration using biamperometric endpoint detection, 0.5–5 µmol of 5-phenyl-1,3,4-oxadiazole-2-thiol were successfully determined. The errors and the relative standard deviations were below 1%. The shapes of the obtained potentiometric titration curves of the tested compound are unusual at higher concentrations of sodium hydroxide and depend on the material of the indicator electrode (platinum and gold). Addition of iodine resulted in a significant potential drop. The studied system did not exhibit Nernstian behavior.
KeywordsIodine Titration Relative Standard Deviation Alkaline Medium Sodium Hydroxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sharma, S., Himalayan Chem. Pharm. Bull., 1998, vol. 1, p. 15.Google Scholar
- 2.Said, M.K., Indian J. Chem., Sect. A: Inorg., Bioinorg., Phys., Theor. Anal. Chem., 1997, vol. 36A, p. 433.Google Scholar
- 4.Averko-Antonovich, A.A. and Gorokhovskaya, V.I., Zh. Anal. Khim., 1979, vol. 34, p. 1812.Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, Z.Y., Lei, Z.J., Wang, P., and Wu, H.Q., Fenxi Ceshi Xuebao, 2002, vol. 21, p. 65.Google Scholar
- 6.Jedrzejewski, W. and Ciesielski, W., Chem. Anal. (Warsaw), 1978, vol. 23, p. 781.Google Scholar
- 7.Ciesielski, W., Chem. Anal. (Warsaw), 1991, vol. 36, p. 555.Google Scholar