A New Method for Estimating the Efficiency of Chromatographic Columns
- 32 Downloads
A new method for estimating the efficiency of chromatographic columns by means of the absolute number of its theoretical plates (N A ) is proposed. The absolute number of its theoretical plates can be easily determined from the dependence of the peak width at half height on the retention time. This method allows a column to be assessed by one value that is independent of the kind of substance and the analysis conditions.
KeywordsAnalytical Chemistry Retention Time Chromatographic Column Absolute Number Peak Width
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Martin, A.J.P. and Synge, R.M.L., Biochem. J., 1941 vol. 35, p. 91.Google Scholar
- 3.Kaiser, R.E., Chromatografia, 1977, vol. 10, p. 323.Google Scholar
- 4.Rodel, W. and Wolm, G., Chromatografia gazowa (Gas Chromatography), Warsaw: PWN, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.Hamilton, R.J. and Sewell, P.A., Wysokosprawna chromatografia cieczowa (High-Performance Liquid Chromatography), Warsaw: PWN, 1982.Google Scholar
- 6.Shoenmakers, P.J., Optimization of Chromatographic Selectivity: A Guide to Method Development, Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Guiochon, G. and Guillemin, C.L., Quantitative Gas Chromatography for Laboratory Analyses and On-Line Process Control, Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.Witkiewicz, Z., Podstawy chromatografii (Basic Chromatography), Warsaw: WNT, 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.Miller, J.C. and Miller, J.N., Statistics for Analytical Chemistry, New York: Ellis Horwood, 1992.Google Scholar