Solitary waves in a weakly stratified two-layer fluid
- 24 Downloads
A problem on stationary waves on the interface between a homogeneous fluid and an exponentially stratified fluid is considered. The density difference on the interface being assumed to have the same order of smallness as the density gradient of the fluid inside the stratified layer, an equation of the second-order shallow water approximation is derived for description of propagation of finite-amplitude solitary waves.
Key wordstwo-layer fluid weak stratification solitary waves
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. V. Ovsyannikov, “Second-order approximation in the shallow water theory,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 2, 175 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.L. V. Ovsyannikov, N. I. Makarenko, V. I. Nalimov, et al., Nonlinear Problems of the Theory of Surface and Internal Waves [in Russian], Nauka, Novosibirsk (1985).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Kh. Khrgian, Physics of Atmosphere [in Russian], Izd. Mosk. Univ., Moscow (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.L. T. Matveev, Course of General Meteorology. Physics of Atmosphere [in Russian], Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.M. P. Vukalovich and I. I. Novikov, Engineering Thermodynamics [in Russian], Gosénergoizdat, Moscow-Leningrad (1955).Google Scholar