Steady-state conditions of a nonisothermal film with a heat-insulated free boundary
- 41 Downloads
The equilibrium shapes of a nonisothermal liquid film with a heat-insulated free surface for large Marangoni numbers are investigated in the long-wave approximation using a combination of analytical and numerical methods. It is proved that the two-dimensional problem of the equilibrium of a strip-shaped film has a steady-state solution for an arbitrary large temperature gradient on the boundaries of the strip. An increase in this gradient leads to an abrupt thinning of the film near the heated boundary, which can result in instability and rupture of the film. In the equilibrium problem for a film fixed on a circular contour, the nonuniform distribution of the heat flux on the contour was found to have a significant influence on the free-surface shape.
Key wordswave flow of liquid thin nonisothermal liquid film summation of power series collocation method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. V. Alekseenko, V. E. Nakoryakov, and B. G. Pokusaev, Wave Flow of Liquid Films [in Russian], Nauka, Novosibirsk (1992).Google Scholar
- 2.O. A. Kabov, “Formation of regular structures in a falling liquid film under local heating,” Teplofiz. Aéromekh., 5, No. 4, 547–552 (1998).Google Scholar
- 3.O. A. Kabov, V. V. Kuznetsov, I. V. Marchuk, et al., “Regular structures in thermocapillary convection in a moving thin liquid layer,” Poverkh. Rentgen., Sinkhr. Neitron. Issled., No. 9, 84–90 (2001).Google Scholar
- 5.E. A. Chinnov and O. A. Kabov, “Influence of three-dimensional deformations on local heat transfer to a nonuniformly heated falling liquid film,” Teplofis. Vysok. Temp., 42, No. 2, 269–278 (2004).Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Pukhnachev and S. B. Dubinkina, “Model of deformation and rupture of a film under the action of thermocapillary forces,” Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 5, 89–107 (2006).Google Scholar
- 8.O. V. Voinov, “Equations of motion of free liquid films and a model of their plane-parallel thinning,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 216, No. 2, 285–288 (1974).Google Scholar
- 9.L. Caratenuto and L. K. Antanovskii, “Influence of surfactants on the thinning of a free liquid film with rims fixed at a frame,” Microgravity Quart., 5, No. 4, 199–209 (1995).Google Scholar
- 10.O. V. Voinov, “Motion of liquid films in a gas,” Prikl. Mat. Mekh., 72, No. 1, 70–80 (2008).Google Scholar
- 12.E. Ya. Gatapova, O. A. Kabov, V. V. Kuznetsov, and J.-C. Legros, “Evaporating shear-driven liquid film flow in minichannel with local heat source,” J. Eng. Thermophys., 13, No. 2, 17–46 (2005).Google Scholar