Rational structure of blood vessels
The issue of the optimal (from the viewpoint of strength) structure of blood vessels of a living organism is considered. It is shown that the angle of packing of muscular fibers in vessels is optimal in terms of strength of arteries.
Key wordsblood vessels reinforced vessels shell composite viscosity-elasticity deformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Ya. Purinya and V. A. Kas’yanov, Biomechanics of Large Blood Vessels of Humans [in Russian], Zinatne, Riga (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.V. V. Kupriyanov, “Helical positioning of muscular elements in vascular walls and its significance in hemodynamics,” Arkh. Anatom. Gistolog. Émbriolog., No. 9, 46–54 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.V. G. Eliseev, Histology [in Russian], Meditsina, Moscow (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.A. N. Pshenichnyi, “Mutual transformations of helical D-and L-enantiomorphs of blood-vessel muscles,” Arkh. Anatom., Gistolog. Émbriolog., No. 5, 37–43 (1985).Google Scholar
- 5.A. A. Nikulin and V. K. Petrov, Blood Vessels [in Russian], Priok. Kn. Izd., Tula (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.A. S. Vol’mir, Stability of Deformable Systems [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1967).Google Scholar
- 7.V. I. Samsonov, “Bulging of composite cylindrical shells under dynamic loading,” in: Study in the Theory of Plates and Shells [in Russian], Izd. Kazan. Univ., Kazan’ (1992), pp. 121–129.Google Scholar
- 9.N. N. Savitskii, Biophysical Fundamentals of Blood Circulation and Clinical Methods for Hemodynamic Studies [in Russian], Medgiz, Leningrad (1963).Google Scholar
- 10.S. N. Bagaev, V. N. Zakharov, and V. A. Orlov, “Physical mechanisms of transportation systems of a living organism,” Preprint No. 1, Inst. Laser Physics, Sib. Div., Russian Acad. of Sci., Novosibirsk (1999).Google Scholar
- 11.Ph. Dobrin and A. Rovick, “Influence of vascular smooth muscle on contractile mechanics and elasticity of arteries,” Amer. J. Physiol., 217, 1644–1657 (1969).Google Scholar
- 12.S. N. Bagaev, V. N. Zakharov, A. L. Markel’, et al., “Optimal structure of the blood-vessel wall, ” Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 398, No. 3, 331–334 (2004).Google Scholar
- 13.A. E. Medvedev, V. I. Samsonov, and V. M. Fomin, “Packing of smooth muscles in blood vessels, ” in: Proc. of the 12th Int. Conf. on the Methods of Aerophysical Research (Novosibirsk, Russia, June 28–July 3, 2004), Part 3, Inst. Theor. and Appl. Mech., Sib. Div., Russian Acad. of Sci., Novosibirsk (2004), pp. 123–127.Google Scholar