Nurse Academicians’ Attitudes Related to Academic Ethical Values and Related Factors
Academic ethical values, having the well-deserved place by nursing and other scientific fields, and developing of the nursing science are proportionate to obeying the academic ethical values and internalizing those values. This study was carried out to determine the nurse academicians’ attitudes related to ethical values and related factors. The descriptive research was carried out between the dates of May and June 2017. The scope of the research consisted of nurse academicians working for two universities in Turkey and the sample of the study consisted of 103 nurse academicians who had accepted to participate in the research. Data were collected by using “Descriptive Characteristics Information Form” and “Academic Ethics Values Scale”. Ethical considerations: Ethic approval from the institution, the Training and Research Hospital Noninvasive Clinical Studies Ethics Committee at the University of İzmir Katip Çelebi, and written approval from the owner of the scale were taken in order to carry out the study. The average age of the participants was 35.7 ± 9.6 (min: 23, max: 65), 95% of them were female, and 51.5% of them were working as research assistants. The nurse academicians’ total item point average was 177,99 ± 11,01 and the attitudes of nurse academicians towards academic ethical values were positively. When the sub-dimension item point averages of the scale were examined, the lowest item point average was determined for the sub-dimension of “Scientific Research” (21.16. ± 3.80) as the highest item point average were being determined for the sub-dimension of “Teaching Process” (58.66 ± 5.27). In this study that the participants’ attitudes towards academic ethical values were found meaningful at a high level, it was seen that academic assignment and age were important factors for the nurse academicians’ attitudes towards the colleagues and the teaching process.
KeywordsNurse academician Academic ethical values Ethics Nursing
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest in this study.
None to be declared.
- Büken, N.Ö. (2006). Türkiye örneğinde akademik dünya ve akademik etik. Hacettepe Tıp Dergisi, 37, 164–170. https://studylibtr.com/doc/718352/t%C3%BCrkiye-%C3%B6rne%C2%A4inde-akademik-d%C3%BCnya-ve-akademik-etik. Accessed 5 Sept 2018.
- English Oxford Living Dictionaries. https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/value. Accessed: October (2017).
- Kırkkılıç, H.A., Sevim, O., Söylemez, Y. (2015). The investigation of the academicians’ scientific research attitudes from the point of academic ethical values. Erzincan Universitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 375–390.Google Scholar
- Maya, I. (2013). Academicians’ perceptions of Behaviours against occupational ethics (a case in Comu, faculty of education). International Periodical For the Languages. Literature and History of Turkish or Turkic, 8(6).Google Scholar
- Özder, H., Işıktaş, S., & Erdoğan, F. (2014). Awareness of the code of ethics and the confirmation of the Lucturers academic degree. International Journal of New Trends in Arts, Sports & Science Education, 3(1), 22–37.Google Scholar
- Pınar, İ. (2002). Akademisyenlerin Etik Değerleri Üzerine Bir Araştırma. İstanbul Üniversitesi Yönetim Dergisi, 13 (43), 5-19.Google Scholar
- Sevim, O. (2014). Developing the academic ethics values scale: The reliability and validity study. Turkish studies - International Periodical For The Languages, Literature and History of Turkish or Turkic, 9(6), 943–957.Google Scholar