The Co-occurrence of Gender Dysphoria and Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults: An Analysis of Cross-Sectional and Clinical Chart Data
Quantitative studies indicate an overrepresentation of ASD in individuals with GD. This study aims to determine the prevalence of autistic traits or ASD in adults with GD using two different data collection methods: (1) cross-sectional data using the social responsiveness scale-adults (SRS-A) and the autism quotient (AQ) (n = 63). (2) Clinical chart data (n = 532). Mean SRS-A scores were significantly higher compared to a norm population. Almost 5% of the patients with GD scored above the cut-off as measured by the AQ. In 32 patients (6%), a certain ASD diagnosis was found in the patient files, which is sixfold higher compared to the general population. Significantly more “birth assigned male” were affected compared to “birth assigned female”.
KeywordsAutism spectrum disorder Gender dysphoria Comorbidity
The authors would like to thank Prof. Dr. G. T’Sjoen for his support in the realization of this study.
All authors contributed to the conception and design of the study, and acquisition of data; GH, LA, JD conducted analyses and wrote the first draft of the manuscript; GH, KB, BVH, GDC, EE contributed to manuscript revision and approved the submitted version.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All the authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Aitken, M., Steensma, T. D., Blanchard, R., VanderLaan, D. P., Wood, H., Fuentes, A., Spegg, C., Wasserman, L., Ames, M., Fitzsimmons, C. L., Leef, J. H., Lishak, V., Reim, E., Takagi, A., Vinik, J., Wreford, J., Cohen-Kettenis, P. T., de Vries, A. L., Kreukels, B. P., & Zucker, K. J. (2014). Evidence for an altered sex ratio in clinic-referred adolescents with gender dysphoria. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 12, 765–773.Google Scholar
- Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., Skinner, R., Martin, J., & Clubley, E. (2001). The autism-spectrum quotient (AQ): Evidence from Asperger Syndrome/high-functioning autism, males and femals, scientists and mathematicians. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 31, 5–17.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Constantino, J. N., Gruber, C. P., Noens, I., De la Marche, W., & Scholte, E. (2012). SRS-A. Screeningslijst voor autismespectrumstoornissen bij volwassenen. Amsterdam: Hogrefe.Google Scholar
- Hoekstra, R. A., Bartels, M., Cath, D. C., & Boomsma, D. I. (2008). Factor structure, reliability and criterion validity of the autism spectrum quotient (AQ): A study in Dutch population and patient groups. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 38, 1555–1566.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kung, K. T., Spencer, D., Pasterski, V., Neufeld, S., Glover, V., O’Connor, T. G., Hindmarsh, P. C., Hughes, I. A., Acerini, C. L., & Hines, M. (2016). No relationship between prenatal androgen exposure and autistic traits: Convergent evidence from studies of children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia and of amniotic testosterone concentrations in typically developing children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 57, 1455–1462.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Schneider, C., Cerwenka, S., Nieder, T. O., Briken, P., Cohen-Kettenis, P. T., De Cuypere, G., Haraldsen, I. R., Kreukels, B. P., & Richter-Appelt, H. (2016). Measuring gender dysphoria: A multicenter examination and comparison of the utrecht gender dysphoria scale and the gender identity/gender dysphoria questionnaire for adolescents and adults. Archives of Sexual Behaviour, 45, 551–558.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Strang, J. F., Meagher, H., Kenworthy, L., de Vries, A. L., Menvielle, E., Leibowitz, S., Janssen, A., Cohen-Kettenis, P., Shumer, D. E., Edwards-Leeper, L., Pleak, R. R., Spack, N., Karasic, D. H., Schreier, H., Balleur, A., Tishelman, A., Ehrensaft, D., Rodnan, L., Kuschner, E. S., Mandel, F., Caretto, A., Lewis, H. C., & Anthony, L. G. (2016). Initial clinical guidelines for co-occurring autism spectrum disorder and gender dysphoria or Incongruence in adolescents. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 24, 1–11. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar