Efficiency enhancement in plasmonic dye-sensitized solar cells with TiO2 photoanodes incorporating gold and silver nanoparticles
- 713 Downloads
Plasmonic dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs) were fabricated using TiO2 photoanodes incorporating gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) with 15–20-nm size and silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) with 40–60-nm size. These were characterized by UV–Vis spectroscopy, J–V characteristic, IPCE spectroscopy, EIS analysis and dark I–V measurements. Under the illumination of 100 mW cm−2 (AM 1.5), the efficiency of the reference DSSC without Au and Ag NPs in TiO2 was 5.12 %, while the efficiencies of plasmonic DSSCs with TiO2:AuNP and TiO2:AgNP were 6.23 and 6.51 %, respectively, representing an efficiency enhancement by 21.6 % for AuNPs and 27 % for AgNPs. The increased efficiencies of the two plasmonic DSSCs appear to be due to the increased short-circuit photocurrent density by enhanced light harvesting caused by the localized surface plasmon resonance effect. The IPCE spectra of the two plasmonic DSSCs suggest the narrowing of the energy band gap of TiO2 due to the presence of Au and Ag nanoparticles.
KeywordsDye-sensitized solar cells Efficiency enhancement TiO2 photoanodes Gold and silver nanoparticles Surface plasmon resonance effect
Authors wish to thank Dr. LP Teo and the Centre for Ionics, University of Malyaya (CIUM) for carrying out the XRD measurements.
- 2.Hara K, Arakawa H (2003) Dye-sensitized solar cells. In: Tachibana Y, Hara K, Sayama K, Arakawa H (eds) Handbook of photovoltaic science and engineering. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, pp 664–670Google Scholar
- 8.Nazeeruddin M, Kay A, Rodicie I, Humphry-Baker R, Müller E, Liska P (1993) Conversion of light to electricity bycis-XzBis(2,2′-bipyridyl-4,4′-dicarboxylate)ruthenium(11) charge-transfer sensitizers (X = C1-, Br-, I-, CN-, and SCN-) on nanocrystalline TiO2 electrodes. J Am Chem Soc 115:6382–6390CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Meen T, Tsai J, Chao S, Lin Y, Wu T, Chang T (2013) Surface plasma resonant effect of gold nanoparticles on the phototelectrodes of dye-sensitized solar cells Nanoscale Research Lett 8:450–456Google Scholar
- 22.Chang H, Chen C, Kao M, Hsiao H (2014) Effect of core-shell Ag@TiO2 volume ratio on characteristics of TiO2-based DSSCs. J Nanomater 2014:264108–264116Google Scholar
- 24.Sheehan S, Noh H, Brudvig G, Cao H, Schmuttenmaer C (2013) Plasmonic enhancement of dye-sensitized solar cells using core − shell − shell nanostructures. J Phys Chem C117:927–934Google Scholar
- 25.Tabrizi A, Ayhan F, Ayhan H (2009) Gold nanoparticle synthesis and characterisation. Hacettepe J Biol Chem 37(3):217–226Google Scholar
- 28.Ratyakshi I, Chauhan R (2009) Colloidal synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles. Asian J Chem 21(10):113–116Google Scholar
- 37.Pan M (2013) Enhanced efficiency of dye-sensitized solar cell by high surface area anatase-TiO2-modified P25 paste. J Nanomater 2013:760685–760691Google Scholar