Simultaneous determination of epinephrine, acetaminophen, and tryptophan using Fe2O3(0.5)/SnO2(0.5) nanocomposite sensor
- 338 Downloads
A nanocomposite of iron(III) oxide and tin(IV) oxide, Fe2O3(0.5)/SnO2(0.5), was prepared by a solid-phase reaction in an alkaline medium. The nanocomposite was characterized by X-ray diffraction, field-emission scanning electron microscopy, and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. A fast-response sensor was prepared by electrochemical deposition of the nanocomposite on a glassy carbon electrode. The prepared sensor has an excellent electrocatalytic activity toward the oxidation of epinephrine (EP), acetaminophen (AC), and tryptophan (Trp), therefore, this sensor was used for simultaneous determination of the above drugs. The separation of the oxidation peak potentials for EP–AC and AC–Trp were about 160 and 280 mV, respectively. The calibration curves obtained for EP, AC, and Trp were in the ranges of 0.6–270.0 µmol L−1, 4.5–876.0 µmol L−1, and 0.6–70.0 µmol L−1, respectively. The detection limits (S/N = 3) were 0.07, 0.2, and 0.1 µmol L−1 for EP, AC, and Trp, respectively. Finally, the sensor was used for determination of EP, AC, and Trp in pharmaceutical and biological samples.
KeywordsEpinephrine Acetaminophen Tryptophan Fe2O3(0.5)/SnO2(0.5) nanocomposite Differential pulse voltammetry Glassy carbon electrode
The authors gratefully acknowledge support of this work by the Research Council of Payame Noor University and the Center of Excellence in Sensor and Green Chemistry.
- 22.Ensafi AA, Taei M, Khayamian T (2009) A differential pulse voltammetric method for simultaneous determination of ascorbic acid, dopamine, and uric acid using poly (3-(5-chloro-2-hydroxyphenylazo)-4,5-dihydroxynaphthalene-2,7-disulfonic acid) film modified glassy carbon electrode. J Electroanal Chem 633:212–220CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Kochen W, Steinhart H (1994) l-Tryptophan: current prospects in medicine and drug safety. de-Gruyter, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 31.Nasirizadeh N, Shekari Z, Zare HR, Shishehborec MR, Fakhari AR, Ahmar H (2013) Electrosynthesis of an imidazole derivative and its application as a bifunctional electrocatalyst for simultaneous determination of ascorbic acid, adrenaline, acetaminophen, and tryptophan at a multi-wall carbon nanotubes modified electrode surface. Biosens Bioelectron 41:608–614CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Devadas B, Rajkumar M, Chen SM (2013) Electropolymerization of curcumin on glassy carbon electrode and its electrocatalytic application for the voltammetric determination of epinephrine and p-acetoaminophenol. Colloids Surf B 116:674–680Google Scholar
- 34.Mazloum-Ardakani M, Beitollahi H, Sheikh Mohseni MA, Benvidi A, Naeimi H, Nejati-Barzoki M, Taghavinia N (2010) Simultaneous determination of epinephrine and acetaminophen concentrations using a novel carbon paste electrode prepared with 2,2′-[1,2 butanediylbis (nitriloethylidyne)]-bis-hydroquinone and TiO2 nanoparticles. Colloids Surf B 76:82–87Google Scholar
- 39.Galus Z (1976) Fundumentals of electrochemical analysis. Ellis Horwood, New YorkGoogle Scholar