A new sensor for the simultaneous determination of paracetamol and mefenamic acid in a pharmaceutical preparation and biological samples using copper(II) doped zeolite modified carbon paste electrode
- 368 Downloads
A new chemically modified electrode is constructed based on a copper(II) doped zeolite modified carbon paste electrode (Cu2+Y/ZMCPE). It is demonstrated that this novel sensor could be used for the simultaneous determination of the pharmaceutically important compounds paracetamol (PAR) and mefenamic acid (MEF). The measurements were carried out using the differential pulse voltammetry (DPV) method. The prepared modified electrode shows voltammetric responses of high sensitivity, selectivity and stability for PAR and MEF under optimal conditions, which makes it a suitable sensor for simultaneous submicromolar detection of PAR and MEF in solution. The oxidation peak current for PAR in Briton Robinson buffer (pH = 10) was measured at various concentrations between 0.25 and 900 μM. (The detection limit was 0.1 μM and S/N was 3.) It proved linear (the correlation coefficient was 0.9987). For the MEF a linear correlation between oxidation peak current and concentration of MEF over the range 0.3–100 μM, with a correlation coefficient of 0.9991 and a detection limit of 0.04 μM, was obtained. The analytical performance of this sensor has been evaluated for the detection of PAR and MEF in human serum, human urine and a pharmaceutical preparation.
KeywordsParacetamol Mefenamic acid Copper(II) doped zeolite Modified carbon paste electrode Differential pulse voltammetry
The authors gratefully acknowledge the Research Council of Arak University for providing financial support (No. 87.447) for this work. Thanks to Dr. Alan Happer from Canterbury University in New Zealand for his valuable comments.
- 1.Moffat AC (1986) Clarkes isolation and identification of drugs, 2nd edn. The Pharmaceuticals Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 2.Miller J, Hickman R, Fratter R, Terblanche J, Saunders SJ (1976) Gastroenterology 71:109Google Scholar
- 13.Roy J, Saha P, Sultana S, Kenyon AS (1997) Bull World Health Organ 75:19Google Scholar
- 16.Vane JR (1971) Nat New Biol 23:232Google Scholar
- 24.Song JF, Guo W (1993) Chin J Pharm 24:24Google Scholar
- 25.Hajjizadeh M, Jabbari A, Heli H, Moosavi-Movahedi AA (2008) Chem Anal (Warsaw) 53:1Google Scholar
- 27.Husain S, Kifayatullah M, Sekar R (2001) Indian J Chem Technol 8:191Google Scholar
- 28.Rau HL, Aroor AR, Gundu Rao P (1991) Indian Drugs 28:563Google Scholar
- 30.Fcchin G, Torre MH, Kremer E, Piro OE, Baran EJ (1998) Z Naturforsch B 53:871Google Scholar
- 31.Breck DW, Tonawanda NY (1964) Crystalline zeolite Y assigned to Union Carbide. Patent 3130007Google Scholar