Influence of cobalt on manganese incorporation in Ni–Co coatings
- 83 Downloads
The effect of alloying <1 wt% Mn with plain Ni, Ni–Co alloys and plain Co coatings in terms of the structure and properties has been studied. The alloys were electrodeposited from an additive free sulphamate electrolyte. The Mn concentration in the electrolyte was maintained at 5 g L−1 so as to obtain <1 wt% Mn content in the alloy coatings. The Energy Dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX) showed that the Mn content reduced from 0.97 to 0.05 wt% with increase in Co content from 0 to 98 wt% in the alloy coating. An increase in microhardness was obtained on the addition of Mn to Ni/Ni–Co alloys. The X-ray diffraction (XRD) and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) studies revealed a change in crystal structure and morphology. Pin-on-disc tribology test revealed better wear performance of Ni–18 wt%Co–Mn alloy coating compared to the other Ni–Mn/Ni–Co–Mn alloy coatings.
KeywordsNi–Co–Mn alloy Ni–Co alloy Microstructure Mechanical properties
The authors wish to thank Dr. A. R. Upadhya, Director, NAL for permitting to publish the work. The authors are also thankful to Dr. Anjana Jain for the XRD studies and Mr. Raghavendra for the SEM/EDX analysis.
- 2.Dini JW, Johnson HR, West LA (1978) Plat Surf Finish 65:36Google Scholar
- 3.Wearmouth WR, Bell KC (1979) Plat Surf Finish 66:53Google Scholar
- 4.Atanassov N, Schils HW (1996) Plat Surf Finish 83:49Google Scholar
- 5.Ananth MV (1998) Trans Inst Met Finish 76:207Google Scholar
- 10.Kelly et al. (2004) US 2004/0031691 A1Google Scholar
- 13.Safranek WH (1974) The properties of electrodeposited metals and alloys—a handbook. American Elsevier Publishing Co. Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 14.Dini JW, Johnson HR, Helms JR (1972) Sandia Livermore Laboratories report no. SCL-DR-720090Google Scholar
- 16.Malone GA (1987) Plat Surf Finish 74:50Google Scholar
- 17.Klug HP, Alexander LE (1954) X-ray diffraction procedures. Chapman and Hall, London, chap 9Google Scholar
- 18.Abd El Rehim SS, Ibrahim MAM, Dankeria MM (2002) Trans IMF 80:105Google Scholar