Preparation of Pt–Co alloy catalysts by electrodeposition for oxygen reduction in PEMFC
- 486 Downloads
Direct current (DC) and pulse current (PC) electrodeposition of Pt–Co alloy onto pretreated electrodes has been conducted to fabricate catalyst electrodes for oxygen reduction reaction (ORR) in proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFC). The effect of plating mode and pulse plating parameters on the Pt–Co alloy catalyst structure, composition and electroactivity for the ORR in PEMFC has been investigated. The electrodeposited Pt–Co alloy catalyst indicates higher electrocatalytic activity towards the ORR than the electrodeposited Pt catalyst. The activity of the electrodeposited Pt–Co catalysts is further improved by applying the current in a pulse waveform pattern. The electrodeposition mode and the pulse plating parameters do not have the significant effect on the Pt:Co composition of deposited catalysts, but show the substantial effect on the deposit structures produced. The Pt–Co catalysts prepared by PC electrodeposition have finer structures and contain smaller Pt–Co catalyst particles compared to that produced by DC electrodeposition. By varying the Pt concentration in deposition solution, the Pt:Co composition of the electrodeposited catalyst that exhibits the highest activity is found. The Pt–Co alloy catalyst with the Pt:Co composition of 82:18 obtained at the charge density of 2 C cm−2, the pulse current density of 200 mA cm−2, 5% duty cycle and 1 Hz was found to yield the best electrocatalytic activity towards the ORR in PEMFC.
KeywordsElectrodeposition PEMFC ORR Platinum-cobalt catalyst Pulse current
The authors express their gratitude to National Center of Excellence for Petroleum, Petrochemicals and Advanced Materials for financial support during the course of this study.
- 1.Larminie J, Dicks A (2003) Fuel cell systems explained, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, EnglandGoogle Scholar
- 12.Paulus UA, Wokaun A, Scherer GG, Schmidt TJ, Stamenkovic V, Radmilovic V, Markovic NM, Ross PN (2002) J Phys Chem 106:4181Google Scholar
- 22.Paunovic M, Schlesinger M (1998) Fundamentals of electrochemical deposition. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 28.Warren BE (1969) X-ray diffusion. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MAGoogle Scholar
- 29.Baumgartner ME, Raub CJ (1988) Plat Met Rev 32:188Google Scholar
- 33.Budevski E, Staikov G, Lorenz WJ (1996) Electrochemical Phase formation and growth. VCH, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 37.Puippe JC, Ibl N (1980) Plat Surf Finish 6:68Google Scholar