Determination of catechol based on an oscillating chemical reaction involving a macrocyclic complex as catalyst
- 110 Downloads
A novel methodological approach for the determination of catechol based on a Belousov-Zhabotinskii type oscillating system is presented. Such an oscillating reaction involves the oxidation of malic acid in an acidic bromate medium in the presence of a catalyst—macrocyclic complex [CuL] (ClO4)2. The unsaturated ligand L in the complex [CuL] (ClO4)2 is 5,7,7,12,14,14-hexemethyl-1,4,8,11-tetraazacyclotetradeca-4,11-diene. By perturbation of catechol on the oscillating chemical reaction, the increase in the oscillation amplitude is linearly proportional to the logarithm of the concentration of catechol in the range 2.1 × 10−6–2.1 × 10−4 M, with a correlation coefficient of 0.9976. The R.S.D obtained for 7.88 × 10−5 M catechol is 3.8% (n = 5). Cyclic voltammetry was applied to explore the mechanism of catechol perturbation on the oscillating chemical reaction.
KeywordsCatechol Belousov-Zhabotinskii reaction Oscillating chemical system Macrocyclic complex Catalyst
The authors gratefully acknowledge funding of this work by the National Science Foundation of China, the Foundation of Education Committee of Anhui Province (KJ2008A118), and Rencai Foundation of Anhui University (02203105), China.
- 1.Field RJ, Burger M (1985) Oscillations and traveling waves in chemical systems. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Kazakov VP, Karavaev AD, Vakhidova SR (1999) React Kinet Catal Lett 45:99Google Scholar
- 8.Anic S, Kolar-Anic L (1998) J Chem Soc Faraday Trans 84:3413Google Scholar
- 12.Tichonova LP, Zakrevskaya LN, Yatsimirskii KB (1978) Talanta 33:1991Google Scholar
- 21.Curtis NF (1973) J Chem Soc Dalton Trans 1076Google Scholar