Comparison of the characteristics of electric double-layer capacitors with an activated carbon powder and an activated carbon fiber
- 227 Downloads
The characteristics of electric double-layer capacitors (EDLCs) with activated carbon powder (ACP), pulverized activated carbon fiber (ACF), and ACF-cloth have been compared. The BET surface areas of the ACP and ACF were estimated to be 1740 and 1970 m2 g−1, respectively. In the pore-size distribution curve of the ACP and ACF, the most dominant pore diameter was 1.8 and 1.1 nm for the ACP and ACF, respectively. Disc- and cloth-type of electrodes were fabricated using ACP and ACF. The electrical resistance of the ACF-disc and ACF-cloth electrodes was four orders of magnitudes lower than that of the ACP-disc electrodes. In accordance with the lower electrical resistance of the ACF-disc and ACF-cloth, the d.c. resistance of the EDLC with the ACF-disc and with ACF-cloth was lower than that of the EDLC with the ACP-disc. The highest specific volume capacitance of 28.3 F cm−3 (capacitance / volume of total ACF in the EDLC) was achieved with the ACF-disc. In the cyclic voltammograms of the ACF-disc, the stable electric double-layer charging and discharging behavior was observed.
Key words:activated carbon capacitor electric double-layer pore size distribution surface area
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Okamura M., Hasuike H., Yamagishi M., Arai S., (2001) Electrochemistry 69: 414Google Scholar
- 2.Asakura R., Kondo T., Morita M., Hatori H., Yamada Y., (2004) TANSO No. 215: 231Google Scholar
- 4.Choi Y.O., Yang K.S., Kim J.H., (2001) Electrochemistry 69: 837Google Scholar
- 5.Shiraishi S., Kurihara H., Oya A., (2001) Electrochemistry 69: 440Google Scholar
- 9.Tanahashi I., Yoshida A., Nishino A., (1988) Denki Kagaku (Electrochemistry) 56: 892Google Scholar