Mobile Dwelling Unit Developed by a Group of Mechanical Engineering Design Students
The increasing number of homeless people is one of the most burning problems of nowadays world. Society has to find the way to fight against it and provide help to those people that have no place to stay. For short-term interventions, the application of the mobile dwelling units seems to be the only possible solution. However, existing mobile dwelling units are rather limited to specific areas of application. A group of students faced this problem and decided to develop an alternative, more universal mobile dwelling unit that will fulfil a wide range of different technical and social requirements at a reasonable price. The paper describes a systematic approach to development of the mobile dwelling unit, which was performed as a part of the education process at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maribor. The project presented is interdisciplinary. In addition to the educational aspect that is emphasized in this paper, technical, economic and social aspects of the project have also a very important role. From educational point of view, the project was concluded successfully. Moreover, we believe our proposal for a mobile dwelling unit is both novel and suitable for general application.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bain,S.:2002,'CorelDRAW 11:The offcial guide,'McGraw-Hill/Osborne Media,New York.Google Scholar
- Chen,A.:2001,'Tent City,'I.D.Magazine,February 2001,p.66.Google Scholar
- Finkelstein,E.:2001,'AutoCAD 2002 Bible,'Book and CD-ROM edition October 15,Wiley.Google Scholar
- Hampton,J.:1998,'Internally displaced people,'Norwegian Refugee Council,Oslo.Google Scholar
- Hubka,V. &Eder, V.E.:1998,'Pedagogics of Design Education,'International Workshop PDE, Pilsen,Czech Republic.Google Scholar
- Pahl,G. &Beitz,W.:1996,'Engineering Design–A Systematic Approach,'Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- Ron,K. &Cheng,C.:2001,'INSIDE Rhinoceros,'1st edition,On Word Press.Google Scholar
- SCIA–Scientific Application Group:2002,'ESA–PRIMA WIN,Benutzerhandbuch,'sCIA Software GbR,Dortmund;PDF Version:http://www.scia-software.de/Handbuch.pdf.Google Scholar
- VDI-Richtlinie 2222:1977,Blatt 1:'Konzipieren Technischer Produkte (Design Engineering Methodics-Conceptioning of Industrial Products ),'Dusseldorf, VDI–Verlag.Google Scholar
- Vostanis,P. &Cumella,S.:1999,'Homeless Children:Problems and Needs,'London.Google Scholar