Everything-as-a-service platform for on-demand virtual enterprises
- 663 Downloads
While constructing virtual enterprises, it is crucial to flexibly integrate heterogeneous business resources and processes of different business partners and make them collaborate dynamically. Keeping involved IT systems or components as autonomous and loose-coupled services, the “Everything as a Service” concept supports flexible integration of heterogeneous applications. We adopt this concept and analyze the challenges in virtual enterprise construction, then propose a service platform for on-demand virtual enterprises. The platform supports flexible integration of networked resources, and facilitates virtual enterprise construction with business process utility, trusted service composition and data service centric business collaborations. At the end of the paper, together with a case study, experimental evaluations in contexts of concurrent multi-users are presented, showing the effectiveness and performance of the platform.
KeywordsWeb based services Service oriented computing Virtual enterprises Dynamic collaborations Service oriented architectures Cloud computing
Our work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grants No. 60873243, 60872036, 60803123) and the 973 and 863 Program of China (Grants No. 2012CB316303, 2010AA012500). Thanks a lot for their generous help.
- Allen, R. J. (1997). A formal approach to software architecture, Ph.D. Thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, CMU Technical Report CMU-CS-97-144.Google Scholar
- Assimakopoulos, N. A., & Riggas, A. N. (2006). Designing a virtual enterprise architecture using structured system dynamics. Human Systems Management, 25(1), 13–29.Google Scholar
- Berglund, A., Boag, S., Chamberlin, D., Fernández, M. F., Kay, M., Robie, J., Siméon, J. (2007). XML Path Language (XPath) 2.0, W3C Recommendation. W3C.Google Scholar
- Chen, G., Ren, W., Chen, D., Zhang, J. B., Sun, C. Z., Yang, Z. H., Low, C. P., Zhuang, L. Q. (2007). A top-down methodology for building semantic-rich service-oriented collaborative virtual enterprise. Proceedings of the 33 rd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2621–2626.Google Scholar
- Fu, C. Y., Li, A. P., Xu, L. Y. (2007). A new trust and reputation model for partner selection in virtual enterprise based on ASP platform. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Automation and Logistics 07, 416–420.Google Scholar
- Ganesh, J., Anand, S. (2005). Web services, enterprise digital dashboards and shared data services: a proposed framework. Proceedings of the Third IEEE European Conference on Web Services, 8–16.Google Scholar
- IEEE Std 1471–2000. (2000). IEEE recommended practice for architectural description of software-intensive systems.Google Scholar
- Kay, M. (2001). XSL transformations (XSLT) Version 2.0, W3C Recommendation. W3C.Google Scholar
- Martin, D., Burstein, M., Hobbs, J., Lassila, O., McDermott, D., McIlraith, S., Narayanan, S., Paolucci, M., Parsia, B., Payne, T., Sirin, E., Srinivasan, N., Sycara, K. (2004). OWL-S: Semantic markup for web services. W3C.Google Scholar
- Mitra, N., Lafon, Y. (2007). SOAP version 1.2 part 0: Primer (Second Edition), W3C Recommendation. W3C.Google Scholar
- Moreau, J. J., Chinnici, R., Ryman, A., Weerawarana, S. (2007). Web Services Description Language (WSDL) Version 2.0 part 1: Core language, W3C Recommendation. W3C.Google Scholar
- OASIS UDDI Specification TC. (2005). Universal Description, Discovery and Integration (UDDI) v3.0.2. OASIS.Google Scholar
- OASIS WSBPEL TC. (2007). Web services business process execution language version 2.0. OASIS.Google Scholar
- OASIS WS-Security TC (2006) Web services security specification v1.1. OASIS.Google Scholar
- Peterson, D., Biron, P.V., Malhotra, A., Sperberg-McQueen, C. M. (2006). XML schema 1.1 Part 2: Datatypes.W3C.Google Scholar
- Robison, S. (2007). The next wave: Everything as a service, Executive Viewpoint,http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/articles/robison/08eaas.html.
- Venturi, V., Stagni F., Gianoli, A. (2007). Virtual organization management across middleware boundaries. Proceedings of the Third IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing, 545–552.Google Scholar
- Yang, J., Li, G., Ai, D. X. (2007). Information integration of virtual enterprise based on service-oriented architecture, Proceedings of the Seventh IFIP International Conference on e-Business, e-Services and e-Society, 282–293.Google Scholar