ID-Services: an RFID middleware architecture for mobile applications
The use of RFID middleware to support application development for and integration of RFID hardware into information systems has become quite common in RFID applications where reader devices remain stationary, which currently represents the largest part of all RFID applications in use. Another field for applying RFID technology which is offering a huge set of novel possibilities and applications are mobile applications, where readers are no longer fixed. In order to address the specific issues of mobile RFID-enabled applications and to support developers in rapid application development, we present ID-Services, an architecture for an RFID middleware that is designed to support mobile applications. The ID-Services approach has been used to implement MoVIS (Mobile Visitor Information System), a mobile application which allows museum visitors to request individually adapted multimedia information about exhibits in an intuitive way.
KeywordsRFID Middleware Mobile computing Mobile RFID Architecture
- ABI Research (2007a): “Near field communication (NFC): leveraging contactless for mobile payments, content and access”.Google Scholar
- ABI Research (2007b): RFID Annual Market Overview. http://www.abiresearch.com/products/market_research/RFID_Annual_Market_Overview.
- Ambler, W. S. (2006). Mapping Objects to Relational Databases: O/R Mapping In Detail, http://www.agiledata.org/essays/mappingObjects.html.
- Anshel, M., & Levitan, S. (2007). Reducing medical errors using secure RFID technology SIGCSE Bull. ACM, 39, 157–159.Google Scholar
- Behzadan, A. H.; Khoury, H. M.; Kamat, V. R. (2006). Structure of an extensible augmented reality framework for visualization of simulated construction processes, WSC ‘06: Proceedings of the 38th conference on Winter simulation, 2055–2062.Google Scholar
- Burnell, J. (2006). What Is RFID middleware and where is it needed? RFIDupdate.com.Google Scholar
- Buschmann, F., Meunier, R., Rohnert, H., & Sommerlad, P. (1996). Stal, M. Pattern-Oriented Software Architecture Volume 1: A System of Patterns, Wiley; 1st edition.Google Scholar
- Chen, N., Chang, T., Chen, J., Wu, C. & Tzeng, H. (2007). Reliable ALE middleware for RFID network applications CSREA EEE, 183–189.Google Scholar
- Dabkowski, A. (2003). XML-based middleware for mobile systems berliner XML tage, 432–438.Google Scholar
- Dortch, M., & Aberdeen Group, Inc. (2008) Winning RFID Strategies for 2008. http://www.aberdeen.com/summary/report/benchmark/4205-RA-winning-rfid-strats.asp.
- EPCglobal. (2005). The application level events (ALE) specification, version 1.0. Specification, February 8.Google Scholar
- Finkenzeller, K. (2003). RFID Handbook: Fundamentals and Applications in Contactless Smart Cards and Identification John Wiley & Sons, Inc.Google Scholar
- Floerkemeier, C. & Lampe, M. (2005). RFID middleware design—addressing both application needs and RFID constraints GI Jahrestagung (1), 277–281.Google Scholar
- NFC Forum: NFC Smart Poster Record Type Definition, SPR 1.1, NFCForum-SmartPoster_RTD_1.0, 2006.Google Scholar
- Hunstig, A. (2008). Konzeptionierung und Entwicklung eines kontextsensitiven, RFID-basierten Wächterkontrollsystems. Master Thesis, University of Münster.Google Scholar
- Jeffery, S. R., Alonso, G., Franklin, M. J., Hong, W., & Widom, J. (2005). Virtual devices: an extensible architecture for bridging the physical-digital divide. Tech. Rep. UCB-CS-05-1375, UC Berkeley CS Division.Google Scholar
- Kim, Y.; Moon, M. & Yeom, K. (2006). A framework for rapid development of RFID applications computational science and its applications—ICCSA 2006, 226–235.Google Scholar
- Kindberg, T. (2002). Implementing physical hyperlinks using ubiquitous identifier resolution WWW ‘02: Proceedings of the 11th international conference on World Wide Web, ACM, 191–199.Google Scholar
- Konidala, D. & Kim, K. (2006). Mobile RFID Applications and Security Challenges Information Security and Cryptology ICISC 2006, 194–205Google Scholar
- Leaver, S. C., Mendelsohn, T., Spivey Overby, C. & Yuen, E. H. (2004). Evaluating RFID Middleware Forrester Research, Inc.Google Scholar
- Legner, C., & Thiesse, F. (2006). RFID-based facility maintenance at frankfurt airport IEEE pervasive computing. IEEE Computer Society, 5, 34–39.Google Scholar
- Liu, S., Wang, F. & Liu, P. (2006). Integrated RFID data modeling: an approach for querying physical objects in pervasive computing CIKM ‘06: Proceedings of the 15th ACM international conference on Information and knowledge management, ACM, 822–823.Google Scholar
- Nath, B., Reynolds, F., & Want, R. (2006). RFID technology and applications IEEE pervasive computing. IEEE Educational Activities Department, 5, 22.Google Scholar
- Park, S., Kim, D. & Kang, B. (2006). Context-aware Middleware Architecture for Intelligent Service in Mobile Environment CIT ‘06: Proceedings of the Sixth IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT’06), IEEE Computer Society, 240.Google Scholar
- Schwieren, J. & Vossen, G. (2007). Implementing Physical Hyperlinks for Mobile Applications using RFID Tags. Proc. 11th Int. Conf. on Database Engineering and Applications (IDEAS), 154–162.Google Scholar
- Schwieren, J. & Vossen, G. (2009). A Design and Development Methodology for Mobile RFID Applications based on the ID-Services Middleware Architecture; Proc. 10th Int. Conf. on Mobile Data Management (MDM), 260–266.Google Scholar
- Son, M., Kim, J., Shin, D. & Shin, D. (2006). Research on smart multi-agent middleware for RFID-based ubiquitous computing environment agent computing and multi-agent systems, 787–792.Google Scholar
- Välkkynen, P., Korhonen, I., Plomp, J., Tuomisto, T., Cluitmans, L., Ailisto, H. et al. (2003). A user interaction paradigm for physical browsing and near-object control based on tags.Google Scholar
- Wang, S., Chen, W., Ong, C., Liu, L., & Chuang, Y. (2006). RFID application in hospitals: a case study on a demonstration RFID project in a Taiwan hospital hicss. IEEE Computer Society, 8, 184a.Google Scholar
- Wu, J., Wang, D., & Sheng, H. (2007). Design an OSGi extension service for mobile RFID applications icebe. IEEE Computer Society, 0, 323–326.Google Scholar
- Yao, P. (2002). Microsoft .NET Compact Framework for Windows CE .NET, July. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms836805.aspx.