Regional allocation of irrigation water in a rice paddy area with water-saving practices
- 77 Downloads
A multiobjective optimization model has been presented for allocating irrigation waters in a rice paddy area. Water-saving practices conducted on the field-plot basis are considered and expressed in the optimal water allocation problem in the regional scale. Irrigation water allocated to the blocks of paddy fields is divided into two components of a basic amount and a safety margin in order to mitigate the effect of hydrological and hydraulic uncertainties on the study area. Four competing management objectives with regard to total rice yield, total water-saving cost, equity of water allocation, and safety of water supply are defined in the linear programming formulation so that noninferior solutions can be procured which are informative and persuasive in decision-making. Applicability of the optimization model is examined using water allocation problems for a hypothetical irrigation system. It is demonstrated that the optimization model can provide satisficing solutions where the four objectives are harmonized under substantial variations of total water supply to the irrigation system.
KeywordsWater-saving cost Water supply safety Paddy field Irrigation Optimization Linear programming
The authors would like to thank the editor and anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments which greatly improved this manuscript.
- Hasukawa H, Shibahara F, Komai S, Mizutani S, Oobayashi H, Fujii Y, Sudo M (2009) Reductions in outflow loads during paddy rice cropping period by environment-conscious agricultural practice. Bull Shiga Pref Agric Tech Promo Cent 48:1–21, in JapaneseGoogle Scholar
- Hitomi T, Hamada K, Takaki K, Kubota T, Shiratani E (2009) Estimation of relationship between water management of paddy field and surface drainage. Proc JSIDRE Annu Congr: 302–303Google Scholar
- Mitsuno T, Maruyama T (1983) Reformaition of irrigation water flow system and determination of regional water requirements for paddy irrigation. Trans JSIDRE 108:9–17, in JapaneseGoogle Scholar
- Nagamochi T, Maeda S, Kawachi T (2009) Examination of safety coefficient for developing reliable water supply plan in paddy irrigation period. Proceedings of the 66th congress of Kyoto division of JSIDRE: 4–27–4–28 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Sakawa M (1984) Optimization of linear systems. Morikita Publications, Tokyo, pp 181–191, in JapaneseGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Q, Maeda S, Kawachi T (2007) Fuzzy optimization model for allocating irrigation water to paddy fields. Trans JSIDRE 249:55–62Google Scholar