Layered agglomeration of primary vaterite nanoparticles during ultrasonic stirring
Primary nanoparticles of vaterite (a metastable form of calcium carbonate) precipitated in aqueous solutions under 2.64-MHz sonication are found to experience layered agglomeration. The vaterite particles are characterized by electron microscopy and x-ray diffraction. The particle size distribution of the precipitate is determined. A mathematical model for layered agglomeration is proposed, and the conclusion is made that, under the experimental conditions used, heterogeneous nucleation of primary vaterite particles takes place.
KeywordsCalcium Particle Size Microscopy Electron Microscopy Aqueous Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Melikhov, I.V. and Dolgonosov, B.M., Self-organization in Moving Suspensions of Disperse Crystalline Phases, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1988, vol. 299, no.5, pp. 1175–1178.Google Scholar
- 3.Varlamov, N V., Dmitrienko, V.P., and Podkosova, N.P., Preparation of Calcium Carbonate Polymorphs via Exchange between Soluble Salts, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Khim. Khim. Tekhnol., 1996, vol. 39, no.4/5, pp. 90–93.Google Scholar
- 4.Berdonosov, S.S., Berdonosova, D.G., and Znamenskaya, I.V., Commercial-Scale Synthesis, Properties, and Practical Applications of Fine-Particle Calcium Carbonate, Khim. Tekhnol. (Kiev), 2002, no. 8, pp. 2–11.Google Scholar
- 6.Söhnel, O. and Garside, J., Precipitation, Oxford: Butterworths, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.Bandyopadhyaya, R., Kumar, R., and Gandhi, K.S., Modelling of CaCO3 Nanoparticle Formation during Overbasing of Lubricating Oil Additives, Langmuir, 2001, vol. 17, no.4, pp. 1015–1029.Google Scholar
- 11.DiMasi, E., Patel, V.M., Sivakumar, M., et al., Polymer-Controlled Growth Rate of an Amorphous Mineral Film Nucleated at a Fatty Acid Monolayer, Langmuir, 2002, vol. 18, no.23, pp. 8902–8909.Google Scholar
- 12.Buijnesters, P.J.J.A., Donners, J.J.J.M., Hill, S.J., et al., Oriented Crystallization of Calcium Carbonate under Self-organized Monolayers of Amide-Containing Phospholipids, Langmuir, 2001, vol. 17, no.12, pp. 3623–3628.Google Scholar
- 13.Rautaray, D., Sinha, K., Shankar, S.S., et al., Aqueous Foams as Templates for the Synthesis of Calcite Crystal Assemblies of Spherical Morphology, Chem. Mater., 2004, vol. 16, no.7, pp. 1356–1361.Google Scholar
- 14.Rautaray, D., Sainkar, S.R., and Sastry, M., Thermally Evaporated Aerosol OT Thin Films as Templates for the Room Temperature Synthesis of Aragonite Crystals, Chem. Mater., 2003, vol. 15, no.14, pp. 2809–2814.Google Scholar
- 15.Liu, X.Y., Tsukamoto, K., and Sorai, M., New Kinetics of CaCO3 Nucleation and Microgravity Effect, Langmuir, 2000, vol. 16, no.12, pp. 5499–5502.Google Scholar
- 16.Melikhov, I.V. and Berliner, L.B., Periodic Crystallization Kinetics in the Presence of Seed Crystals Growing with a Fluctuating Rate, Teor. Osn. Khim. Tekhnol., 1985, vol. 19, no.2, pp. 158–165.Google Scholar
- 17.Melikhov, I.V., On the Main Law of Spontaneous Crystallization, Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1989, vol. 63, no.2, pp. 476–482.Google Scholar