Stress concentration around a circular hole in a transversely isotropic spherical shell
Analytical expressions for the stresses near a circular hole in a transversely isotropic shallow spherical shell under uniform pressure are derived. The form of the solution depends on the range of change in the compliance to transverse shear. The influence of the relative radius of the hole and the compliance to transverse shear on the stress concentration is analyzed.
Keywordstransverse shear transversely isotropic shallow spherical shell stress concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. N. Guz, Ya. M. Grigorenko, I. Yu. Babich, et al., Mechanics of Structural Members, Vol. 2 of the three-volume series Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structural Members [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1983).Google Scholar
- 2.A. N. Guz and K. I. Shnerenko, “Linear problems for shells with transverse-shear strains,” in: Stress Concentration, Vol. 7 of the 12-volume series Mechanics of Composites [in Russian], A.S.K., Kiev (1998), pp. 288–328.Google Scholar
- 3.A. N. Guz, I. S. Chernyshenko, Val. N. Chekhov, Vik. N. Chekhov, and K. I. Shnerenko, The Theory of Thin Shells with Openings, Vol. 1 of the five-volume series Methods of Shell Design, Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.A. N. Guz, I. S. Chernyshenko, and K. I. Shnerenko, Spherical Bottoms Weakened by Openings [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.A. N. Guz and K. I. Shnerenko, “Stress concentration near holes in shells made of materials with a low shear modulus,” Int. Appl. Mech., 6, No.8, 817–823 (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.B. L. Pelekh and A. A. Syas’kii, Stress Distribution near Openings in Anisotropic Shells Compliant to Shear [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1975).Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Chekhov and A. J. A. Souse, “Stress distribution near a circular cutout in transversely isotropic shells,” Visn. Kyiv. Univ., Ser. Fiz.-Mat. Nauk, No. 5, 395–402 (2001).Google Scholar
- 8.V. N. Chekhov and A. J. A. Souse, “Torsion of a transversely isotropic shallow shell with a circular opening,” Teor. Prikl. Mekh., 33, 124–130 (2001).Google Scholar
- 9.K. I. Shenernko, “Influence of shear strains on the stress state of a spherical shell weakened by a hole,” Int. Appl. Mech., 7, No.3, 250–255 (1971).Google Scholar