Design Criteria for Non-Orthogonal Space–Time Block Codes in Multipath Channels
- 64 Downloads
We consider the problem of designing high rate space–time block codes in multipath fading channels. For this, both minimizing the effect of the self-interference induced by the code itself, and mitigating the inter-symbol-interference induced by the channel have to be addressed. We translate the problem into an equivalent problem of designing a constrained code in a single-path channel with more antennas, and argue that design criteria derived in single-path apply when optimizing this constrained code. Here we concentrate on an analytic measure pertinent to mutual information maximization and BER-performance optimization. The design program is successfully applied to rate one linear space–time transmissions from four transmit antennas. A family of discrete permutations of the transmitted sequences are considered. Performance is optimized within this family, and the results are seen to effect directly both mutual information and error performance.
Key wordsDiversity multipath channels multiple antennas space–time block codes time-reversed codes.
- 3.Lindskog E., Paulraj A. (2000). A transmit diversity scheme for channels with intersymbol interference. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 1:307–311Google Scholar
- 4.Vook F.W., Thomas T.A. (2000) Transmit diversity schemes for broadband mobile communication systems. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference 6:2523 – 2529 FallGoogle Scholar
- 5.Naguib A. (2001). On the matched filter bound of transmit diversity techniques. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2:596 – 603Google Scholar
- 8.N. Al-Dhahir, Single-carrier frequency-domain equalization for space–time block-coded transmissions over broadband wireless channels, IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communication (PIMRC), pp. 143–146, 2001Google Scholar
- 10.O. Tirkkonen, A. Boariu and A. Hottinen, Minimal non-orthogonal rate 1 space–time block code for 3 + Tx antennas, IEEE 6th International Symposium on Spread-Spectrum Techniques and Applications (ISSSTA), Vol. 2, pp. 429–432, 2000Google Scholar
- 12.O. Tirkkonen, Optimizing space–time block codes by constellation rotations, Finnish Wireless Communication Workshop, pp. 59–60, 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.E. Lindskog and D. Flore, Time-reversal space–time block coding and transmit delay diversity-separate and combined, 34th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, pp. 572–577, 2000Google Scholar
- 17.A. Hottinen and O. Tirkkonen, Precoder designs for high rate space–time block codes, Princeton Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS), 2004Google Scholar
- 18.S. Iraji, O. Tirkkonen, A. Hottinen and K. Kuchi, Non-orthogonal space–time block code for multipath channel, IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communication (PIMRC), Vol. 4, pp. 2303–2307, 2004Google Scholar
- 19.O. Tirkkonen and R. Kashaev, Combined information and performance optimization of linear MIMO modulations, IEEE International Symposium on Informations Theory (ISIT), p. 76, July 2002Google Scholar
- 20.O. Tirkkonen and M. Kokkonen, Interference, information and performance in linear matrix modulation, IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communication (PIMRC), Vol. 1, pp. 27–32, September 2004Google Scholar
- 21.S. Sandhu and A. Paulraj, Space–time block codes: a capacity perspective, IEEE Communication Letters, Vol. 4, No. 12, December 2000Google Scholar