SI-Traceable Water Content Measurements in Solids, Bulks, and Powders
- 57 Downloads
Methods such as Karl Fischer titration and Loss-on-Drying, commonly used for estimating moisture content in samples, have been in existence for many years, but have difficulties obtaining a direct calibration chain toward water content. In recognition of this challenge, the joint research project, METefnet, was funded by the European Metrology Research Programme in 2012. The goal of METefnet is to establish a European metrology infrastructure for water content measurement and to develop primary standards for unambiguous determination of water mass fraction in materials. Here, we describe the primary standard developed by Danish Technological Institute in METefnet. This standard establishes traceability of the water content of a sample to dewpoint temperature. The standard only measures water, and the measurement result is not affected by other components.
KeywordsDew point Moisture content SI primary standard Water content Water mass fraction
The EMRP is jointly funded by the EMRP participating countries within EURAMET and the European Union.
- 1.International Organisation for Standardization. http://www.iso.org/iso/home.html. Accessed 30 Apr 2015
- 2.En 14774-1:2004 solid biofuels—determination of moisture content—oven dry method. Standard, European Standard (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.En 5537:2004 dried milk—determination of moisture content (reference method). Standard, European Standard (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.E. Scholz, Karl Fischer Titration: Determination of Water (Springer, Berlin, 1984)Google Scholar
- 8.H. Robain, C. Camerlynck, G. Bellier, A. Tabbagh, Geophys. Res. Abstr. 5, 03830 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.P. Österberg, M. Heinonen, M. Ojanen-Saloranta, A. Mökynen, Proceedings of XXI IMEKO World Congress, Prague, Czech Republic, 2015 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.S. Bell, R. Aro, F. Arpino, S. Aytekin, G. Cortellessa, M. Dell’Isola, Z. Ferenčíková, V. Fernicola, R. Gavioso, E. Georgin, M. Heinonen, D. Hudoklin, L. Jalukse, N. Karaböce, I. Leito, A. Mäkynen, P. Miaov, J. Nielsen, I. Nicolescu, M. Rudolfová, M. Ojanen-Saloranta, P. Österberg, P. Østergaard, M. Rujan, M. Sega, R. Strnad, T. Vachova, Proceedings of 17th International Conference of Metrology (CIM2015), Paris. France (2015). https://doi.org/10.1051/metrology/20150015003
- 15.International vocabulary of metrology—basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM). JCGM 200:2012, JCGM (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.B. Hardy, The Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Humidity and Moisture (1998), pp. 1–8Google Scholar
- 19.M. Heinonen, S. Bell, B.I. Choi, G. Cortellessa, I. Crina-Nicolescu, V. Fernicola, E. Georgin, D. Hudoklin, N. Ismail, T. Keawprasert, M. Krasheninina, I. Leito, J. Nielsen, S.O. Aytekin, P. Osterberg, J. Skabar, R. Strnad, TEMPMEKO 2016 (2016)Google Scholar
- 20.P. Miao, P. Carroll, S. Bell, C. Spray, R. Aro, I. Crina-Nicolescu, M.S. Eroglu, V. Fernicola, P.F. Østergaard, N. Karaboce, I. Leito, J. Nielsen, S.O. Aytekin, F. Rolle, M. Sega, TEMPMEKO 2016 (2016)Google Scholar