A Slimline Integrated Self-Validating Thermocouple: Initial Results
- 149 Downloads
NPL, in collaboration with CCPI Europe, have designed a slimline integrated self-validating (“inseva”) thermocouple with the same external form factor as conventional thermocouples, with the aim of making them suitable as direct replacements for existing thermocouples in process. Type S thermocouples have been manufactured in recrystallized alumina-sheathed assemblies, with Cu and Co–C reference ingots, with an outer diameter of 7 mm. The new slimline inseva thermocouple is, in principle, suitable for use in the same positions and conditions as the conventional thermocouple which it replaces. This paper reports the initial reference ingot melt and freeze plateaus successfully observed using the first inseva thermocouples, and demonstrates observation of furnace sensitivity and ramp rate sensitivity of the plateau temperatures.
KeywordsCalibration HTFP Integrated Self-validating Thermocouple
This project (14IND04 “EMPRESS”) has received funding from the EMPIR program co-financed by the Participating States and from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program.
- 1.M. Tischler, M. Koremblit, Temperature 1982. AIP Conf. Proc. 5, 383–390 (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.D. Barberree, in Temperature 2002, AIP Conf. Proc. (2003), pp. 1097–1102Google Scholar
- 3.F. Bernhard, S. Augustin, H. Mammen, in Tempmeko 2004: 9th International Symposium on Temperature and Thermal Measurement in Industry and Science, vol. 2 (2004), pp. 1285–1290Google Scholar
- 4.M. Tischler, W. Neubert, Temperature: Its Measurement and Control in Science and Industry, vol. 6:1/2 (AIP press, 1992), pp. 1055–1060Google Scholar
- 5.Lehmann, F. Bernhard, in Tempmeko 1996: 6th International Symposium on Temperature and Thermal Measurement in Industry and Science (1996), p. 201Google Scholar
- 7.F. Edler, in Tempmeko 1996: 6th International Symposium on Temperature and Thermal Measurement in Industry and Science, vol. 1 (1996), p. 183Google Scholar
- 8.S. Augustin et al, in Tempmeko: 2001: 8th International Symposium on Temperature and Thermal Measurement in Industry and Science, vol. 1 (2001), pp. 3–8Google Scholar
- 9.J. V. Pearce, F. Edler, C. J. Elliott, G. Machin, L. Rosso, G. Sutton, S. MacKenzie, in 17th International Congress of Metrology, Jan. (2015). doi: 10.1051/metrology/20150008001