Characterization of PTFE Using Advanced Thermal Analysis Techniques
- 1k Downloads
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer used in numerous industrial applications. It is often referred to by its trademark name, Teflon. Thermal characterization of a PTFE material was carried out using various thermal analysis and thermophysical properties test techniques. The transformation energetics and specific heat were measured employing differential scanning calorimetry. The thermal expansion and the density changes were determined employing pushrod dilatometry. The viscoelastic properties (storage and loss modulus) were analyzed using dynamic mechanical analysis. The thermal diffusivity was measured using the laser flash technique. Combining thermal diffusivity data with specific heat and density allows calculation of the thermal conductivity of the polymer. Measurements were carried out from − 125 °C up to 150 °C. Additionally, measurements of the mechanical properties were carried out down to − 170 °C. The specific heat tests were conducted into the fully molten regions up to 370 °C.
KeywordsPolytetrafluoroethylene Specific heat Thermal analysis Thermal expansion Thermophysical properties Thermal conductivity Thermal diffusivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Villani V.: Thermochim. Acta 162, 189 (1990)Google Scholar
- Fidler B., Blumm J.: Ceram. Ind. 9, 40 (2000)Google Scholar
- Parker W.J., Jenkins R.J., Butler C.P., Abbott G.L.: J Appl.. Phys. 32, 1679 (1961)Google Scholar
- Min S., Blumm J., Lindemann A.: Thermochim. Acta. 455, 46 (2007)Google Scholar
- C. Kittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics, 8th edn. (Willey, New York, 2005)Google Scholar
- J. Blumm, Thermische Charakterisierung von Hochleistungskeramiken vor, während und nach dem Sinterprozess, Ph.D. thesis, University of Würzburg, 2003Google Scholar
- G. Ehrenstein, G. Riedel, P. Trawiel, Thermal Analysis of Plastics (Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich, 2004)Google Scholar
- Data sheet polytetrafluoroethylene, Goodfellow (2007) http://www.goodfellow.com/csp/active/static/G/Polytetrafluorethylen
- K. Hying, Analyse der viskoelastischen Eigenschaften von Polytetrafluorethylen im Bereich des β-Übergangs, Ph.D. thesis, RWTH, Aachen, 2003Google Scholar