Photoacoustic Thermal Characterization of Porous Rare-Earth Phosphate Ceramics
- 115 Downloads
The laser induced non-destructive photoacoustic technique has been employed to measure the thermal diffusivity of lanthanum phosphate ceramics prepared by the sol–gel route. The thermal diffusivity value was evaluated by knowing the transition frequency between the thermally thin to thermally thick region from the log–log plot of photoacoustic amplitude versus chopping frequency. Analysis of the data was carried out on the basis of the one-dimensional model of Rosencwaig and Gersho. The present investigation reveals that the sintering temperature has great influence on the propagation of heat carriers and hence on the thermal diffusivity value. The results were interpreted in terms of variations in porosity with sintering temperature as well as with changes in grain size.
KeywordsPhotoacoustic porosity rare-earth phosphate ceramics thermal diffusivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kingery W.D., Dowen H.K., Uhlmann D.R. (1976). Introduction to Ceramics. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Hikichi Y., Nomura T. (1987) . J. Am. Ceram. Soc 70:C-252Google Scholar
- 6.Tsagareishvili D.Sh., Gvelesiani G.G., Orlovskii V.P., Belyaevskaya T.V., Repko V.P. (1972). Neorg. Mater 8:1790Google Scholar
- 12.S. D. George, A. A. Anappara, P. R. S. Warrier, K. G. K. Warrier, P. Radhakrishnan, V. P. N. Nampoori, and C. P. G. Vallabhan, Proc. SPIE – 5118 (2003), p. 207.Google Scholar
- 16.S. Sankara Raman, V. P. N. Nampoori, C. P. G. Vallabhan, G. Ambadas, and S. Sugunan, Appl. Phys. Lett. 67:2939 (1995) and references therein.Google Scholar
- 21.E. Litoysky, T. Gambaryan-Roisman, M. Shapiro, and A. Shavit, Trends in Heat, Mass and Momentum Transfer, Vol. 3 (Council of Scientific Research Integration, Trivandrum, India, 1997), p. 147.Google Scholar
- 25.A. Sanchez-Lavega, A. Salazar, A. Ocariz, L. Pottier, E. Gomez, L. M. Villar, and E. Macho, Appl. Phys. A 65:15 (1997) and references therein.Google Scholar