Efficient EM Simulation of GCPW Structures Applied to a 200-GHz mHEMT Power Amplifier MMIC
The behaviour of grounded coplanar waveguide (GCPW) structures in the upper millimeter-wave range is analyzed by using full-wave electromagnetic (EM) simulations. A methodological approach to develop reliable and time-efficient simulations is proposed by investigating the impact of different simplifications in the EM modelling and simulation conditions. After experimental validation with measurements on test structures, this approach has been used to model the most critical passive structures involved in the layout of a state-of-the-art 200-GHz power amplifier based on metamorphic high electron mobility transistors (mHEMTs). This millimeter-wave monolithic integrated circuit (MMIC) has demonstrated a measured output power of 8.7 dBm for an input power of 0 dBm at 200 GHz. The measured output power density and power-added efficiency (PAE) are 46.3 mW/mm and 4.5 %, respectively. The peak measured small-signal gain is 12.7 dB (obtained at 196 GHz). A good agreement has been obtained between measurements and simulation results.
KeywordsMillimeter-wave MMIC (monolithic millimeter-wave integrated circuit) mHEMT (metamorphic high electron mobility transistor) Power amplifier GCPW (grounded coplanar waveguide) Electromagnetic simulation
The authors would like to thank the Technology Department staff at the Fraunhofer IAF for MMIC processing. They also would like to thank Dr. R. Weber and H. Massler, respectively, for the layouts and measurements of the passive test structures, and Dr. T. Merkle for the useful discussions. The support of Dr. M. Schlechtweg, Prof. Dr. O. Ambacher and Dr. J. Kühn to keep this research cooperation between the Fraunhofer IAF and the Universidad de Extremadura is highly appreciated. They also would like to thank two reviewers for comments and suggestions which have highly improved both the readability and the content of this paper.
This research has been partially supported by the Regional Government Junta de Extremadura/ERDF (European Regional Development Fund), project GR15052 and by the Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad, Spain (TEC2013-46282-C2-2-P).
- 1.M. Y. Liang, C. L. Zhang, R. Zhao, Y. J. Zhao, Experimental 0.22 THz stepped frequency radar system for ISAR imaging, Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 780–789, 2014.Google Scholar
- 2.V. Radisic, D. W. Scott, A. Cavus, C. Monier, 220-GHz high-efficiency InP HBT power amplifiers, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 3001–3005, 2014.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Amado-Rey, Y. Campos-Roca, S. Maroldt, A. Tessmann, H. Massler, H. Massler, A. Leuther, M. Schlechtweg, O. Ambacher, A 200 GHz driver amplifier in metamorphic HEMT technology, in IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 6–9 December, 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.V. Radisic, K. M. K. H. Leong, S. Sarkozy, X. G. Mei, W. Yoshida, P. H. Liu, W. R. Deal, R. Lai, 220-GHz solid-state power amplifier modules, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 2291–2297, 2012.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Längst, S. Diebold, H. Massler, A. Tessmann, A. Leuther, T. Zwick, I. Kallfass, A balanced 150–240 GHz amplifier MMIC using airbridge transmission lines, in IEEE Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Circuits (INMMIC), September 2012.Google Scholar
- 6.B. Amado-Rey, Y. Campos-Roca, R. Weber, S. Maroldt, A. Tessmann, H. Massler, S. Wagner, A. Leuther, O. Ambacher, Impact of Metallization Layer Structure on the Performance of G-Band Branch-Line Couplers, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 793–795, 2015.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Merkle, S. Koch, A. Leuther, M. Seelmann-Eggebert, H. Massler I. Kallfass, Compact 110–170 GHz Amplifier in 50 nm mHEMT Technology with 25 dB Gain, in 8th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference, 2013.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Sain, K. L. Melde, Impact of ground via placement in grounded coplanar waveguide interconnects, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 136–144, 2016.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Campos-Roca, A. Tessmann, B. Amado-Rey, S. Wagner, H. Massler, V. Hurm, A. Leuther, A 200 GHz Medium Power Amplifier MMIC in Cascode Metamorphic HEMT Technology, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 24, no. 14, pp. 787–789, 2014.Google Scholar
- 10.P. Debye, Polar Molecules, Chemical Catalogue Company: New York, NY, USA, 1929.Google Scholar
- 11.N. B. de Carvalho, J. C. Pedro, Large- and small-signal IMD behavior of microwave power amplifiers, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 2364–2374, 2014.Google Scholar