Properties of Building and Plastic Materials in the THz Range
We present measurements of the frequency dependent refractive index and absorption coefficient of a variety of common building and plastic materials between 100 and 1000 GHz. Accurate knowledge of the material parameters is indispensable for the modeling of bound media propagation phenomena including single and multiple reflections, transmission, diffraction and scattering effects. These models are for example required for a reliable channel simulation to investigate signal propagation in future wireless communication systems operating with Gigabit data rates at frequencies above 100 GHz. Also, the measured material parameters can be used for the investigation and development of THz system components.
KeywordsMaterial properties Millimeterwaves Submillimeterwaves Terahertz THz channel modeling
The authors thank Dr. Martin Bastian and Dr. Karsten Kretschmer from Süddeutsches Kunststoff-Zentrum, Würzburg, Germany, for providing the samples P7 and P8.
- 1.T. Nagatsuma, Exploring sub-terahertz waves for future wireless communications, IEEE 31th Intl. Conf. on IRMMW and 14th Intl. Conf. on Terahertz Electronics, China, September 2006, p. 4.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Cherry, Edholm’s law of bandwidth, IEEE Spectr. 41, 19–50 (2004).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Piesiewicz, T. Kleine-Ostmann, N. Krumbholz, D. Mittleman, M. Koch, and T. Kürner, Concept and perspectives of future ultra broadband THz communication systems, IEEE 31th Intl. Conf. on IRMMW and 14th Intl. Conf. on Terahertz Electronics, China, September 2006, p. 96.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Piesiewicz, J. Jemai, M. Koch, and T. Kürner, THz channel characterization for future wireless gigabit indoor communication systems, SPIE Intl. Symp. on Integrated Optoelectronic Devices, Terahertz and Gigahertz Electronics and Photonics IV, Vol. 5727, San Jose, USA, January 2005, pp. 166–176.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics. (Pergamon Press, 1964), pp. 36–47.Google Scholar
- 8.D. A. McNamara, C. W. I. Pistorius, and J. A. G. Malherbe, Introduction to the Uniform Geometrical Theory of Diffraction. (Artech House, 1990).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Beckmann and A. Spizzichino, The Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves from Rough Surfaces (Artech House, 1987), pp. 80–98.Google Scholar
- 14.N. Hiromoto, R. Fukasawa, and I. Hosako, Measurement of optical properties of construction materials in the terahertz region, IEEE 31th Intl. Conf. on IRMMW and 14th Intl. Conf. on Terahertz Electronics, China, September 2006, p. 157.Google Scholar
- 16.D. Mittleman, Terahertz Imaging, in Sensing with Terahertz Radiation, edited by D. Mittleman (Springer, 2003), pp. 117–153.Google Scholar
- 19.R. S. Burington and D. Curtis, Handbook of Probability and Statistics with Tables (McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1970), p. 111.Google Scholar