A New Approach for the Analysis of Planar Distributed Two-Dimentional (2-D) Left-Haned (Lh) Structures
- 57 Downloads
A new approach is proposed to analyze planar distributed 2-D LH structures. The 4-port S parameters of the unit cell combined with the Bloch-Floquet theory are used to determine the dispersion relations and Bloch impedance. The LH and RH frequency bands are identified by the signs of the real parts of the wave number and the Bloch impedance. Several advantages of the new approach over the previous unit cell analysis methods are presented. As an example, a capacitance-enhanced LH structure is designed and analyzed with the new approach. FDTD simulation is also performed to study the periodic LH structure with infinite arrays. The results of the simulation at the LH frequency band show the backward wave properties in consistent with those obtained by the proposed approach.
KeywordsLeft-handed (LH) structures S parameters Bloch impedance Backward wave
This work is supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 60501018, in part by the National Basic Research Program of China under Grant No. 2004CB719800, and in part by the Foundation of the National Key Laboratory of Microwave Imaging Technology under Grant No. 9140C190401060C19.
- 5.C. Caloz, T. Itoh, Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip LH transmission line, IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig. 2, 412–415 (2002).Google Scholar
- 6.C. Caloz, T. Itoh, Novel microwave devices and structures based on the transmission line approach of meta-materials, IEEE-MTT Int. Symp. Dig. 1, 195–198 (2003).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Caloz, A. Sanada, L. Liu, T. Itoh, A broadband left-handed (LH) coupled-line backward coupler with arbitrary coupling level, IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig. 1, 317–320 (2003).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Sanada, C. Caloz, T. Itoh, Novel zeroth-order resonance in composite right/left-handed transmission line resonator, Proc. Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf. 1588–1591 (2003).Google Scholar
- 11.A. K. Iyer, G. V. Eleftheriades, Negative refractive index metamaterials supporting 2-D wave propagation, IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig. 2, 1067–1070 (2002).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Sanada, C. Caloz, T. Itoh, 2D distributed meta-structures with negative refractive properties, IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig. 1, 4–10 (2003).Google Scholar
- 13.C. Caloz, A. Lai, T. Itoh, Wave interactions in a Left-handed mushroom structure, IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig. 2, 1403–1406 (2004).Google Scholar
- 16.A. Taflove, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method. Artech House, 2000.Google Scholar