FGF-21 Elevated IL-10 Production to Correct LPS-Induced Inflammation
Fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF-21) has been previously judged as a major metabolic regulator. In this paper, we show that FGF-21 has a potential role in anti-inflammation and immunoregulation. In vivo, treatment with exogenous FGF-21 can alleviate LPS-induced inflammation. In vitro, FGF-21 inhibited LPS-induced IL-1β expression in THP-1 cells. Furthermore, besides the NF-κB pathway, the mechanism of action of FGF-21 was observed to involve the elevation of IL-10 in the ERK1/2 pathway. This study clearly indicates that FGF21 can be used as an attractive target for the management of inflammatory disorders. This piece of research indicates that FGF-21 could have much value in the management of inflammatory disorders.
KEY WORDSFGF-21 THP-1 cells IL-10 LPS
This study was funded by the “Young Talents” Project of Northeast Agricultural University (grant number 16QC27) and Natural Science Foundation of Heilongjiang Province of China (grant number C2017023).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The study was approved by the Ethics Committee of Northeast Agricultural University.
- 3.Longo, C.J., D.K. Heyland, H.N. Fisher, et al. 2007. A long-term follow-up study investigating health-related quality of life and resource use in survivors of severe sepsis: comparison of recombinant human activated protein C with standard care. Critical Care 11 (6): R128.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Wang, Wen-Fei, Si-Ming Li, Gui-Ping Ren, Wei Zheng, Yu-Jia Lu, Yin-Hang Yu, et al. 2014. Recombinant murine fibroblast growth factor 21 ameliorates obesity-related inflammation in monosodium glutamate-induced obesity rats. Endocrine. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-014-0433-5.
- 11.Li, S.M., W.F. Wang, L.H. Zhou, L. Ma, Y. An, W.J. Xu, T.H. Li, Y.H. Yu, D.S. Li, and Y. Liu. 2014, 2014. Fibroblast growth factor 21 expressions in white blood cells and sera of patients with gestational diabetes mellitus during gestation and postpartum. Endocrine. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-014-0309-8.
- 12.Wang, Wen-fei, Lei Ma, Ming-yao Liu, Ting-ting Zhao, Tong Zhang, Yong-bi Yang, Hong-xue Cao, Xiao-hui Han, and De-shan Li. 2014. A novel function for fibroblast growth factor 21: stimulation of NADPH oxidase-dependent ROS generation. Endocrine. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-014-0502-9.
- 13.Koch, L., D. Frommhold, K. Buschmann, et al. 2014, 2014. LPS-and LTA-induced expression of IL-6 and TNF-α in neonatal and adult blood: role of MAPKs and NF-κB. Mediators of Inflammation.Google Scholar