Comparison of α2-Macroglobulin Synthesis by Juvenile vs. Mature Rats after Identical Inflammatory Stimulation
- 98 Downloads
Synthesis of α2-macoglobulin (α2M) by 3-week-old juvenile rats was compared to that of mature 7- and 11-week-old rats. Serum concentrations of α2M, interleukin (IL)-6- and cytokine-induced neutrophil chemoattractant (CINC)-1 were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. The area under the concentration vs. time curve (AUC) for α2M was significantly different among the three groups. The synthesis of α2M increased in an age-dependent manner. No significant difference was observed for the AUC of IL-6, but that of CINC-1 in 3-week-old rats was significantly lower than that in 7- or 11-week-old rats. These results suggest that synthesis of α2M was increased in mature compared to juvenile rats, possibly due to differences in liver function. The maximum concentration of CINC-1 in 3-week-old rats was observed 6 h after turpentine oil injection. The serum concentrations of IL-6 and CINC-1 increased more quickly in juvenile rats than in mature rats after inflammatory stimulation.
KEY WORDSjuvenile rats mature rats α2M IL-6 CINC-1
This research was partially supported by a research project grant awarded by Azabu University.
- 1.Capsi, D., M.L. Baltz, F. Snel, E. Gruys, D. Niv, R.M. Batt, et al. 1984. Isolation and characterization of C-reactive protein from the dog. Immunology 53: 307–313.Google Scholar
- 3.T.W., Du-Clos. 2000. Function of C-reactive protein. Animal Medicine 32: 274–278.Google Scholar
- 5.Eckersall, P.D., M.J.A. Harvey, J.M. Ferguson, J.P. Renton, D.A. Nickson, and J.S. Boyd. 1993. Acute phase proteins in canine pregnancy (Canis familiaris). Journl of Reproductive Fertility 47: 159–164.Google Scholar
- 6.Inoue, S., T. Jinbo, M. Shino, K. Iguchi, M. Nomura, K. Kawato, et al. 2001. Determination of α2-macroglobulin concentrations in healthy rats of various ages and rats inoculated with turpentine oil by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Journal of Experimental Animal Science 42: 44–49.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Hayashi, S., T. Jinbo, K. Iguchi, M. Shimizu, T. Shimada, M. Nomura, et al. 2001. A comparison of the concentrations of C-reactive protein and alpha1-acid glycoprotein in the serum of young and adult dogs with acute inflammation. Veterinary Research Communications 25: 117–126.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Charles River Laboratories Japan Inc., Research and development data, body weight curve, CD(SD), Available at: http://www.crj.co.jp, Accessed May 23, 2013.
- 21.Ling, P.P., R.J. Smith, S. Kie, P. Boyce, and B.R. Bistrian. 2004. Effects of protein malnutrition on IL-6-mediated signaling in the liver and the systemic acute-phase response in rats. American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 287: 801–808.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Kuribayashi, T.,Seita, T., Momotani, E., Honjo, T., Yamazaki, S., Yamamoto, S. Correlation between synthesis of α2-macroglobulin in hepatocytes and changes in serum cytokine levels in rats after inflammatory stimulation. Scand. J. Lab. Anim. Sci.(in press).Google Scholar
- 26.Schmucker, D.L. 1998. Aging and the liver: an update. Journal of Gerontology 53A: B315–B320.Google Scholar