Anti-Inflammatory Effect of 3,4-Oxo-isopropylidene-shikimic Acid on Acetic Acid-Induced Colitis in Rats
The present work was done to investigate the possible effects of 3,4-oxo-isopropylidene-shikimic acid (ISA) on acetic acid (AA)-induced colitis in rats. Colitis was induced by intracolonic injection of 6 % AA. Several parameters, including macroscopic score and biochemical parameters, were determined to assess the degree of protection. Biochemical parameters such as myeloperoxidase (MPO) activity, malondialdehyde (MDA) and nitric oxide (NO) levels, and superoxide dismutase (SOD) and inducible NO synthase (NOS) activities were measured following standard assay procedures. The study showed that treatment of rats for 6 days with ISA (100 and 200 mg/kg) was able to give complete protection against AA-induced colitis. Moreover, biochemical changes were reversed and brought toward control. These results suggest a beneficial effect of ISA against experimental colitis and the possible mechanism of the protective effects may be partly due to an antioxidant action.
KEY WORDS3,4-oxo-isopropylidene-shikimic acid ulcerative colitis acetic acid antioxidation
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 30973578 and No. 30973673) and the State Science and Technology Commission (Grant 2001BA701A07-14).
- 3.Bitiren, M., A.Z. Karakilcik, M. Zerin, I. Ozardali, S. Selek, Y. Nazligul, A. Ozgonul, D. Musa, and A. Uzunkoy. 2010. Protective effects of selenium and vitamin E combination on experimental colitis in blood plasma and colon of rats. Biological Trace Element Research 136: 87–95.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Ma, Y., Q.P. Xu, J.N. Sun, L.M. Bai, Y.J. Guo, and J.Z. Niu. 1999. Antagonistic effects of shikimic acid against focal cerebral ischemia injury in rats subjected to middle cerebral artery thrombosis. Acta Pharmacology Sinica 20: 701–704.Google Scholar
- 13.Ma, Y., J.N. Sun, Q.P. Xu, and Y.J. Guo. 2000. IInhibitory effects of shikimic acid on platelet aggregation and blood coagulation. Acta Pharmaceutical Sinica 35: 1–3.Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, H.T., H.T. Jin, J.N. Sun, and Y.J. Guo. 2002. Experimental studies on the antithrombosis effect of 3, 4-oxo-isopropylidene-shikimic acid. Acta Pharmaceutical Sinica 37: 245–248.Google Scholar
- 15.Xing, J.F., J.N. Sun, J.Y. Hou, Y.J. Guo, X.K. Wang, X.H. Zheng, and R.T. Guo. 2006. Study on anti-inflammatory effects of 3,4-oxo-isopropylidene-shikimic acid. Chinese Pharmaceutical Journal 41: 1861–1863.Google Scholar
- 16.Ma, Y., J.N. Sun, and Q.P. Xu. 2007. Antagonizing effect of ISA on lipid peroxidation of vein endothelial cells. Journal of Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine 30: 98–104.Google Scholar
- 24.Panes, J., J. Segui, M. Gironella, M. Sans, S. Granell, F. Gil, M. Gimeno, P. Coronel, and J.M. Pique. 2004. Superoxide dismutase ameliorates TNBS-induced colitis by reducing oxidative stress, adhesion molecule expression, and leukocyte recruitment into the inflamed intestine. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 76: 537–544.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Fioramonti, J., W. Han, A. Mercenier, A. Ait-Belgnaoui, S. Pavan, F. Lamine, I.I. van Swam, M. Kleerebezem, C. Salvador-Cartier, M. Hisbergues, L. Bueno, and V. Theodorou. 2006. Improvement of an experimental colitis in rats by lactic acid bacteria producing superoxide dismutase. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 12: 1044–1052.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Ribbons, K.A., X.J. Zhang, J.H. Thompson, S.S. Greenberg, W.M. Moore, C.M. Kornmeier, M.G. Currie, N. Lerche, J. Blanchard, D.A. Clark, and M.J.S. Miller. 1995. Potential role of nitric-oxide in a model of chronic colitis in rhesus macaques. Gastroenterology 108: 705–711.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar