Comments on “Taxonomy of cyanobacteria: a contribution to consensus approach”, by K. A. Palinska and W. Surosz (Hydrobiologia 740: 1–11, 2014, doi:10.1007/s10750-014-1971-9)
- 227 Downloads
In their recent paper in Hydrobiologia (Palinska & Surosz, 2014) and in an earlier publication (Palinska et al., 2006), Katarzyna Palinska and coworkers presented an admirable account of a novel approach toward the harmonization of classical, morphology-based, and modern molecular taxonomic approaches for the cyanobacteria, based on molecular studies of type material preserved in herbaria. The Palinska & Surosz (2014) paper also provided a nice summary of the current problems with the nomenclature of the cyanobacteria as the group is covered by two Codes of Nomenclature: the International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants (McNeill et al., 2012) and the International Code of Nomenclature of Prokaryotes (Lapage et al., 1992; Parker et al., in press; for updates since the 1990 revision see http://www.bacterio.net/-code.html). In spite of recent attempts to harmonize the nomenclature of the group between the two Codes (Oren, 2004; Oren & Tindall, 2005, and further...
KeywordsMinimal Standard International Code Cyanobacterial Species Botanical Nomenclature Nomenclatural Type
- De Vos, P. & H. G. Trüper, 2000. Judicial Commission of the International Committee on Systematic Bacteriology. IXth International (IUMS) Congress of Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology. Minutes of the meetings, 14, 15 and 18 August 1999, Sydney, Australia. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 50: 2239–2244.Google Scholar
- Krichevsky, M. I., 2012. Codes of nomenclature. In: Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (ELS). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester. DOI: 10.1002/9780570015902.a0000452.pub2.
- Lapage, S. P., P. H. A. Sneath, E. F. Lessel, V. B. D. Skerman, H. P. R. Seeliger & W. A. Clark, 1992. International Code of Nomenclature of Bacteria (1990 Revision). American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- McNeill, J., F. R. Barrie, W. R. Buck, V. Demoulin, W. Greuter, D. L. Hawksworth, P. S. Herendeen, S. Knapp, K. Marhold, J. Prado, W. F. Prud’homme van Reine, G. F. Smith, J. H. Wiersema & N. L. Turland (eds), 2012. International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants (Melbourne Code) adopted by the Eighteenth International Botanical Congress Melbourne, Australia, July 2011. Regnum Vegetabile 154. Koeltz Scientific Books, Koenigstein.Google Scholar
- Parker, C. T., G. M. Garrity & B. J. Tindall, International Code of Nomenclature of Prokaryotes. Prokaryotic Code. 2008 Revision. Published for the International Committee on Systematics of Prokaryotes (in press).Google Scholar
- Wilson, K. L., 2012. Report of the General Committee. 12. Taxon 61: 878–879.Google Scholar