Performance of a new phytoplankton composition metric along a eutrophication gradient in Nordic lakes
- 238 Downloads
A new phytoplankton metric is presented, which is developed from a large dataset of Norwegian lakes (>2,000 samples from >400 lakes). In contrast to previous metrics, this index is not built on selected ‘indicative’ taxa, but uses all available taxonomic information at genus and species level. Taxa optima with respect to lake trophic status (derived from total phosphorus concentrations) are used to calculate a phytoplankton trophic index (TI) for each sample. Analysis of the TI shows that phytoplankton communities exhibit highly non-linear responses to eutrophication in Norwegian lakes. Reference lakes are characterized by very similar TIs despite having considerable variation in total phosphorus and chlorophyll a concentrations. TI exhibits a non-linear distribution along the eutrophication gradient which separates unimpacted from impacted sites in the study area. We further show that TI exhibits smaller seasonal variations than chlorophyll a, making it a more reliable indicator for lake monitoring. Implications for its applicability within the WFD are discussed.
KeywordsWater Framework Directive Phytoplankton Indicators Eutrophication Biodiversity Threshold Lakes
We thank Susanne C. Schneider, Laurence Carvalho and an anonymous reviewer for comments on the manuscript. Funding by European Commission (res. project REBECCA, SSPI-CT-2003-502158) and Norwegian Research Council (res. project BIOCLASS-FRESH, 184002) are acknowledged.
- Andersen, T., 1997. Pelagic nutrient cycles: herbivores as sources and sinks. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Brettum, P. & T. Andersen, 2005. The use of phytoplankton as indicators of water quality. NIVA-report SNO 4818-2004: 197 pp.Google Scholar
- Carvalho, L., B. Dudley, I. Dodkins, R. Clarke, J. Jones, S. Thackeray & S. Maberly, 2007. Phytoplankton Classification Tool (Phase 2). Final report. Edinburgh, Scotland & Northern Ireland Forum for Environmental Research: 94 pp. Google Scholar
- Directive, 2000. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for community action in the field of water policy. Official Journal of the European Communities L327: 1–72.Google Scholar
- Henriksen, A., B. L. Skjelkvale, J. Mannio, A. Wilander, R. Harriman, C. Curtis, J. P. Jensen, E. Fjeld & T. Moiseenko, 1998. Northern European Lake Survey, 1995—Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Russian Kola, Russian Karelia, Scotland and Wales. Ambio 27: 80–91.Google Scholar
- Koenker, R., 2008. Quantreg: quantile regression. R package version 4.20. http://www.r-project.org.
- Lyche Solheim, A., S. Rekolainen, J. Moe, L. Carvalho, G. Phillips, R. Ptacnik, E. Penning, L. G. Toth, C. O’Toole, A.-K. Schartau & T. Hesthagen, 2008. Ecological threshold responses in European lakes and their applicability for WFD implementation—synthesis of lakes results from the REBECCA project. Aquatic Ecology 42: 317–334.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ptacnik, R., A. G. Solimini, T. Andersen, T. Tamminen, P. Brettum, L. Lepistö, E. Willén & S. Rekolainen, 2008a. Diversity predicts stability and resource use efficiency in natural phytoplankton communities. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 105: 5134–5138.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R Development Core Team, 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria [available on internet at http://www.R-project.org. ISBN 3-900051-07-0.
- Reynolds, C. S., 1980. Phytoplankton assemblages and their periodicity in stratifying lake systems. Holarctic Ecology 3: 141–159.Google Scholar
- Reynolds, C. S., 1984. The ecology of freshwater phytoplankton. Cambridge University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Solimini, A. G., A. C. Cardoso, J. Carstensen, G. Free, A.-S. Heiskanen, N. Jepsen, P. Nõges, S. Poikane & W. van de Bund, 2008. The monitoring of ecological status of European freshwaters. In Quevauviller, P., U. Borchers, C. Thompson & T. Simonart (eds), The Water Framework Directive: Ecological And Chemical Status Monitoring. Wiley, Chippenham, Wiltshire: 29–60.Google Scholar
- Solimini, A. G., R. Ptacnik & A. C. Cardoso, 2009. Toward a holistic assessment of ecosystem functioning: the relationships between anthropogenic pressures, chemical and ecological status under the Water Framework Directive. Trends in Analytical Chemistry (in press).Google Scholar
- Tikkanen, T. & T. Willén, 1992. Växtplanktonflora (Phytoplankton Flora). Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Solna, Sweden (in Swedish).Google Scholar
- Utermöhl, H., 1958. Zur Vervollkommnung der quantitativen Phytoplanktonmethodik. Mitteilungen der Internationalen Vereinigung für Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie 9: 1–38.Google Scholar
- Wolfram G., M. Dokulil, K. Pall., et al., 2007. Intercalibration Exercise, Technical Report + Annexes, Alpine GIG (Lakes). Vienna, Ispra.Google Scholar