The genera Bispira Krøyer, 1856 and Stylomma Knight-Jones, 1997 (Polychaeta, Sabellidae): systematic revision, relationships with close related taxa and new species from Australia
- 153 Downloads
A cladistic analysis undertaken to test monophyly of Bispira and Stylomma (including new species of both genera) and to ascertain relationships with related taxa reveals that Bispira is paraphyletic without the inclusion of Pseudobranchiomma and Branchiomma, and that Stylomma is monophyletic due to the presence of a structure on the dorsal basal flanges which has never been described before. New species of Bispira and Stylomma from Australia are described. Bispira serrata n. sp., differs from the other species of the genus in having serrated radiolar flanges whereas all other Bispira species have smooth flanges or lack them, and also by the shape of the thoracic and abdominal uncini, which are short-handled and have 2–3 rows of big teeth above the main fang, instead of having medium-sized handles and small, numerous rows of teeth over the main fang. Stylomma juani n. sp., is characterized by the presence of serrated radiolar flanges and unpaired compound eyes along the branchial radioles, whereas other species in the genus have smooth radiolar flanges and subterminal compound radiolar eyes.
KeywordsSabellidae Bispira Stylomma Phylogeny New species
I would like to thank people from the different institutions for assisting and providing material of Bispira and Stylomma, specially Kate Attwood (AM), Chris Glasby (MAGNT), Robin Wilson (MV), Angelica Brandt (ZMH), Jolanta Jurkowska (MPW), Kristian Fauchald (USNM) and Marie-Noella Hélleouet (MNHN). Many thanks to Pat Hutchings (AM), Chris Glasby and AM Marine Invertebrate staff, for helping with collecting. I am also grateful to Phyllis Knight-Jones (University College of Swansea) who gave me some valuable ideas at the beginning of this project and offered material. Anna Murray (AM), Pat Hutchings (AM) and Maite Aguado (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid) kindly reviewed the manuscript and made very useful comments.
- Augener, H., 1922. Australische Polychaeten des Hamburger Zoologischen Museums. Archiv Für Naturgeschichte, Berlin 88: 1–37.Google Scholar
- Fitzhugh, K., 1989. A systematic revision of the Sabellidae-Caobangiidae-Sabellongidae complex (Annelida: Polychaeta). Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 192: 1–104.Google Scholar
- Fitzhugh, K., 2003. A new species of Megalomma Johansson, 1927 (Polychaeta: Sabellidae: Sabellinae) from Taiwan, with comments on sabellid dorsal lip classification. Zoological Studies: 42: 106–134.Google Scholar
- Goloboff P., 1993. NONA (a bastard son of Pee-Wee). Version. 2.0. Available from http://www.cladistics.com.
- Grube, A. E., 1878. Annulata Semperiana. Beiträge zur kenntniss der annelidenfauna der Philippinen nach den von Herrn Prof. Semper mitgebrachten sammlungen. Memoires l’Académie Impériale des Sciences de St. Petersbourg 25: 1–300.Google Scholar
- Knight-Jones, P., 1983. Contributions to the taxonomy of Sabellidae (Polychaeta). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 79: 246–295.Google Scholar
- Knight-Jones, P., 1994. Two new species of Branchiomma (Sabellidae) with descriptions of closely related species and comments on Pseudobranchiomma and Sabellastarte. In Dauvin, C., L. Laubier & D. J Reish, (eds), Actes de la 4éme Conférence Internationale des Polychètes, Mémoires du Museum Nacional d’Histoire Naturelle 162: 191–198.Google Scholar
- Knight-Jones, P., 1997. Two new species of Megalomma (Sabellidae) from Sinai and New Zealand with redescriptions of some types and a new genus. Bulletin of Marine Science 60: 313–323.Google Scholar
- Nixon, K. C., 2002. WinClada. Version 1.00.08. Available from http://www.cladistics.com.
- Nishi, E., N. Sueyoshi-Dewa & S. Dewa, 2000. Records of Bispira porifera (Grube), B. wiremi (Johanson) and B. tricyclia (schmarda) (Sabellidae: Polychaeta) from Japan, Nanki Seibutsu (Nanki Biological Society) 42: 9–14.Google Scholar
- Page, R. 1998. Nexux Data editor, Available from http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/NDE/nde.html.
- Tovar-Hernández, A. M. & P. Knigth-Jones, 2006. Species of Branchiomma (Polychaeta: Sabellidae) from the Caribbean Sea and Pacific coast of Panama. Zootaxa 1189: 1–37.Google Scholar
- Tovar-Hernández, A. M. & S. I. Salazar Vallejo, 2006. Sabellids (Polychaeta: Sabellidae) from the Grand Caribbean. Zoological Studies 45: 24–66.Google Scholar