Distribution of sea anemones (Cnidaria, Actiniaria) in Korea analyzed by environmental clustering
- 104 Downloads
Using environmental data and the geospatial clustering tools LOICZView and DISCO, we empirically tested the postulated existence and boundaries of four biogeographic regions in the southern part of the Korean peninsula. Environmental variables used included wind speed, sea surface temperature (SST), salinity, tidal amplitude, and the chlorophyll spectral signal. Our analysis confirmed the existence of four biogeographic regions, but the details of the borders between them differ from those previously postulated. Specimen-level distribution records of intertidal sea anemones were mapped; their distribution relative to the environmental data supported the importance of the environmental parameters we selected in defining suitable habitats. From the geographic coincidence between anemone distribution and the clusters based on environmental variables, we infer that geospatial clustering has the power to delimit ranges for marine organisms within relatively small geographical areas.
Keywordsgeospatial clustering LOICZView biogeography Anthozoa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cha, H. R., Song, J. I. 2001Taxonomy of two subtribes, Mesomyaria and Acontiaria (Anthozoa, Actiniaria) in KoreaKorean Journal of Systematic Zoology1791113Google Scholar
- Fautin, D. G., 2003. Hexacorallians of the world: sea anemones, corals, and their allies. http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/hexacoral/anemone2/index.cfm.Google Scholar
- Fautin, D. G. & R. W. Buddemeier, 2003. Biogeoinformatics of Hexacorallia. http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/hexacoral.Google Scholar
- Kim, H. S. 1986On the geographical distribution of anomuran and brachyuran crabs in Korean watersKorean Journal of Systematic Zoology26778Google Scholar
- Maxwell, B., 2003. Web-LOICZView. http://palantir.swarthmore.edu/loicz/.Google Scholar
- Smith, C. & B. Maxwell, 2003. DISCO. http://narya.engin.swarthmore.edu/disco.Google Scholar
- Song, J. I. 1991A systematic study on the Korean Anthozoa 12Order Scleractinia. Korean Journal of Systematic Zoology7127150Google Scholar
- Song, J. I., Cha, H. R. 2002Taxonomy of Actiniidae (Anthozoa, Actiniaria, Thenaria, Endomyaria) from KoreaKorean Journal of Systematic Zoology18253270Google Scholar