Fusibility and sintering characteristics of ash
- 64 Downloads
The temperature characteristics of ash fusibility are studied for a wide range of bituminous and brown coals, lignites, and shales with ratios R B/A of their alkaline and acid components between 0.03 and 4. Acritical value of R B/A is found at which the fusion temperatures are minimal. The sintering properties of the ashes are determined by measuring the force required to fracture a cylindrical sample. It is found that the strength of the samples increases sharply at certain temperatures. The alkali metal content of the ashes has a strong effect on their sintering characteristics.
Keywordsfuel ash fusion temperatures of ash alkaline components of ash acidic components of ash sintering breaking strength sodium equivalent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Raask, Mineral Impurities in Coal Combustion, Hemisphere Publishing Corporation (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.Toby G. Bridgeman, Jenny M. Jones, and Alan Williams, Overview of Solid Fuels, Characteristics and Origin. Handbook of Combustion. Vol. 4. Solid Fuels, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmBH & Co. KgaA (2011).Google Scholar
- 3.A. Ots, J. Telkowsky, “Fusion and sintering characterization of coal ashes,” in: Proc. of 11 th Int. Coal Sci. Conf., San-Francisco (2001).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Ots, Oil Shale Fuel Combustion, Tallinn (2006).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Hupa and B.-J. Skrifvars, “Measuring the sintering tendency of ash by a laboratory method,” J. Inst. Energy, Sept. (1989).Google Scholar
- 6.R. R. Attig and D. H. Barnhart, “A laboratory method of evaluating factors affecting tube bank fouling in coal fired boilers,” in: Mechanism of Corrosion by Fuel Impurities, Butterworths, Marchwood, UK (1963).Google Scholar
- 7.B.-J. Skrifvars, M. Hupa, and M. Hiltunen, “Sintering of ash during fluidized bed combustion,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 31(4) (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.C. Tangsathitkulchai and M. Tangsathitkulchai, “Effect of environment atmosphere on the sintering of thai lignite fly ashes,” in: Applications of Advanced Technology to Ash-Related Problems in Boilers, Plenum Press (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Ots, T. Parve, B.-J. Skrifvars, and M. Hupa, “The sintering tendency of ash from calcium-rich oil shale,” J. Inst. Energy, December (1996).Google Scholar
- 10.D. Zhang D., P. J. Jackson, and H. B. Vuthaluru, “Low-rank coal and advanced technologies for power generation,” in: Impact of Mineral Impurities in Solid Fuel Combustion, Plenum Publishers – Kluwer Academic (1999).Google Scholar