A multichannel discharge between a stream electrolytic cathode and a metal anode at atmospheric pressure
An experimental investigation is performed of the structure and current-voltage characteristics (CVC) of a multichannel discharge (MD) between a stream electrolytic cathode (SEC) and a metal anode, as well as of the density of SEC and anode current in a wide range of values of current I = 0.02–10 A, interelectrode spacing l = 5–50 mm, and anode diameter d a = 5–40 mm. The development of cathode spots on the SEC surface is studied. It is found that a cathode spot of SEC may have various shapes and structures (regular circle, horseshoes, filamentary spots, and so on). The CVC of a multichannel discharge between SEC and metal anode depends significantly on I, l, and d a , as well as on the material of the anode and on the composition and concentration of electrolyte. The dependence of the density of SEC current on discharge current is nonmonotonic. It is for the first time that a bundle-like MD between SEC and metal anode and multichannel and diffuse discharges between the plasma region and stream electrolytic cathode are observed, and their characteristics are investigated.
KeywordsPlasma Column Process Water Plasma Region Cathode Spot Metal Anode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gaisin, F.M. and Son, E.E., Electric Discharges in a Vapor-Gas Medium with Unconventional Electrodes (Electrolytes), in Entsiklopediya nizkotemperaturnoi plazmy. Vvodnyi tom. Kniga 2 (Encyclopedia of Low-Temperature Plasma. Introductory Volume. Book 2), Fortov, V.E., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 2000, p. 241.Google Scholar
- 2.Gaisin, F.M. and Son, E.E., Elektrofizicheskie protsessy v razryadakh s tverdym i zhidkim elektrodami (Electrophysical Processes in Discharges with Solid and Liquid Electrodes), Sverdlovsk: Izd. Ural’skogo universiteta ((Ural Univ.), 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.Gaisin, F.M. and Son, E.E., Khim. Plazmy, 1990, vol. 16, p. 120.Google Scholar
- 4.Gaisin, F.M., Son, E.E., and Shakirov, Yu.I., Ob’yemnyi razryad v parogazovoi srede mezhdu tverdymi i zhidkimi elektrodami (Volume Discharge in a Vapor-Gas Medium between Solid and Liquid Electrodes), Moscow: Izd. VZPI, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.Afanas’yeva, N.A., Galimova, R.K., Gaisin, F.M. et al., The Interaction of the Stream-Gas Discharge Plasma with the Surfaces of Solid and Liquid Substances, in Fifth European Conf. on Thermal Plasma Processes, St. Petersburg, 1998, p. 265.Google Scholar
- 6.Gaisin, F.M. and Gaisin, A.F., On Plasma Treatment of the Metal Products Surface by the Stream and Gaseous Discharge on Untraditional Electrodes, in Proc. 6 th Japan Int. SAMPE Symp. Exhibition A New Perspective in Advancement of Materials, Tokyo, 1999, p. 315.Google Scholar
- 7.Son, E.E., Gaisin, F.M., and Zibarov, A.V., Plasma Technologies and Their Computer Simulations, Proc. Int. Conf. on Plasma Science (ICOPS), Jeju, Korea, 2003, N 2A04, p. 183.Google Scholar