The Polycomb group protein Enhancer of Zeste 2: its links to DNA repair and breast cancer
- 281 Downloads
The Polycomb group protein EZH2 is a transcriptional repressor involved in controlling cellular memory and has been linked to tumorigenesis in multiple organs. In this review we summarize the current knowledge on the function of EZH2 in cancer, with special focus on breast cancer, and propose a link between EZH2, the homologous recombination pathway of DNA repair, and breast tumorigenesis.
KeywordsEZH2 Breast cancer DNA repair Homologous recombination Biomarker Prognosis Polycomb RAD51 RAD51 paralogs RAD51L1
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bachmann IM, Halvorsen OJ, Collett K, Stefansson IM, Straume O, Haukaas SA, Salvesen HB, Otte AP, Akslen LA (2006) EZH2 expression is associated with high proliferation rate and aggressive tumor subgroups in cutaneous melanoma and cancers of the endometrium, prostate, and breast. J Clin Oncol 24:268–273Google Scholar
- Collett K, Eide GE, Arnes J, Stefansson IM, Eide J, Braaten A, Aas T, Otte AP, Akslen LA (2006) Expression of enhancer of zeste homologue 2 is significantly associated with increased tumor cell proliferation and is a marker of aggressive breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 12:1168–1174PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kleer CG, Cao Q, Varambally S, Shen R, Ota I, Tomlins SA, Ghosh D, Sewalt RG, Otte AP, Hayes DF, Sabel MS, Livant D, Weiss SJ, Rubin MA, Chinnaiyan AM (2003) EZH2 is a marker of aggressive breast cancer and promotes neoplastic transformation of breast epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100:11,606–11,611CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mills KD, Ferguson DO, Alt FW (2003) The role of DNA breaks in genomic instability and tumorigenesis. Immunol Rev 194:77–95Google Scholar
- Raaphorst FM, Meijer C, Fieret E, Blokzijl T, Mommers E, Buerger H, Packeisen J, Sewalt RA, Otte AP, van Diest PJ (2003) Poorly differentiated breast carcinoma is associated with increased expression of the human polycomb group EZH2 gene. Neoplasia 5:481–488Google Scholar