Role of ABA and Gibberellin A3 on gene expression pattern of sugar transporters and invertases in Vitis vinifera cv. Malbec during berry ripening
Sugars are key constituents that affect quality of grape berries, and consequently the grape metabolic profile relevant to wine’s industry. However, enzymes and transporter genes expression involved in sugar transport at different phenological stages are scarcely studied. In addition, little is known about the role of the plant hormones ABA and Gibberellin (GA3) as endogenous regulators, over the expression pattern of the sugars transporters genes in grapevine. The aim of this study was to analyze the expression pattern of the most relevant sugar transporters and invertases in leaves and berries of grapevine plants cv. Malbec during berry ripening stages and its shift after ABA and GA3 sprays. In leaves, VvHT1 was the sugar transporter highly expressed, whereas VvHT6 was the most abundant in berries throughout berry ripening. Moreover, VvSUC12 and VvSUC27 were expressed at veraison greater in leaves than in berries, suggesting an active phloem loading at the onset of ripening. Applications of ABA and GA3 enhanced the expression of VvSUC12 and VvSUC27 in pre-veraison leaves. Furthermore, hormones increased the expression of VvHT2, VvHT3 and VvHT6 in berries at different stages of ripening favoring sugar unloading from phloem. In conclusion, ABA and GA3 are involved in the long-distance sugar transport from leaves to berries in Vitis vinifera L. cv. Malbec, and their exogenous application could be a suitable strategy to improve the process.
KeywordsABA GA3 Gene expression Invertases Malbec Sugar transporters Vitis vinifera
This work was financially supported by Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (PIP 2009 to Patricia Piccoli) and Fondo para la Investigación Científica y Tecnológica (PAE-PICT2007-02190 to Patricia Piccoli, PICT2008-1666).
- Çakir B, Giachino R (2012) VvTMT2 encodes a putative tonoplast monosaccharide transporter expressed during grape berry (Vitis vinifera cv. Sultanine) ripening. Plant OMICS 5:576–583Google Scholar
- Conde C, da Silva P, Fontes N, Dias ACP, Tavares RM, Sousa MJ, Agasse A, Delrot S, Gerós H (2007) Biochemical changes throughout grape berry development and fruit and wine quality. Food 1:1–22Google Scholar
- Jaillon O, Aury JM, Noel B, Policriti A, Clepet C, Casagrande A, Choisne N, Aubourg S, Vitulo N, Jubin C, Vezzi A, Legeai F, Hugueney P, Dasilva C, Horner D, Mica E, Jublot D, Poulain J, Bruyere C, Billault A, Segurens B, Gouyvenoux M, Ugarte E, Cattonaro F, Anthouard V, Vico V, Del Fabbro C, Alaux M, Di Gaspero G, Dumas V, Felice N, Paillard S, Juman I, Moroldo M, Scalabrin S, Canaguier A, Le Clainche I, Malacrida G, Durand E, Pesole G, Laucou V, Chatelet P, Merdinoglu D, Delledonne M, Pezzotti M, Lecharny A, Scarpelli C, Artiguenave F, Pe ME, Valle G, Morgante M, Caboche M, Adam-Blondon AF, Weissenbach J, Quetier F, Wincker P (2007) The grapevine genome sequence suggests ancestral hexaploidization in major angiosperm phyla. Nature 449:463–467CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Murcia G, Pontin M, Reinoso H, Baraldi R, Bertazza G, Gómez-Talquenca S, Bottini R, Piccoli PN (2016) ABA and GA3 increase carbon allocation in different organs of grapevine plants by inducing accumulation of non-structural carbohydrates in leaves, enhancement of phloem area and expression of sugar transporters. Physiol Plant 156(3):323–337CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Terrier N, Glissant D, Grimplet J, Barrieu F, Abbal P, Couture C, Ageorges A, Atanassova R, Leon C, Renaudin JP, Dedaldechamp F, Romieu C, Delrot S, Hamdi S (2005) Isogene specific oligo arrays reveal multifaceted changes in gene expression during grape berry (Vitis vinifera L.) development. Planta 222:832–847CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Velasco R, Zharkikh A, Troggio M, Cartwright DA, Cestaro A, Pruss D, Pindo M, Fitzgerald LM, Vezzulli S, Reid J, Malacarne G, Iliev D, Coppola G, Wardell B, Micheletti D, Macalma T, Facci M, Mitchell JT, Perazzolli M, Eldredge G, Gatto P, Oyzerski R, Moretto M, Gutin N, Stefanini M, Chen Y, Segala C, Davenport C, Dematte L, Mraz A, Battilana J, Stormo K, Costa F, Tao Q, Si-Ammour A, Harkins T, Lackey A, Perbost C, Taillon B, Stella A, Solovyev V, Fawcett JA, Sterck L, Vandepoele K, Grando SM, Toppo S, Moser C, Lanchbury J, Bogden R, Skolnick M, Sgaramella V, Bhatnagar SK, Fontana P, Gutin A, Van de Peer Y, Salamini F, Viola R (2007) A high quality draft consensus sequence of the genome of a heterozygous grapevine variety. PLoS ONE 2:e1326CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar