Identification and characterization of a PutCu/Zn-SOD gene from Puccinellia tenuiflora (Turcz.) Scribn. et Merr.
- 204 Downloads
The role of superoxide dismutase (SOD) in organismal stress conditions has been widely reported. However, little is known concerning the function of superoxide dismutase in Puccinellia tenuiflora (Turcz.) Scribn. et Merr. In this study, PutCu/Zn-SOD, a cDNA clone that encodes a copper–zinc superoxide dismutase gene, was derived from a cDNA library of P. tenuiflora treated with NaHCO3. Nucleotide sequence analysis revealed that the PutCu/Zn-SOD gene cDNA clone consisted of 615 bp encoding a protein with 204 amino acids. In transformed Arabidopsis protoplasts, a PutCu/Zn-SOD protein was located in the chloroplasts as revealed by a green fluorescent protein. Real-time quantitative PCR expression analysis revealed that the PutCu/Zn-SOD gene was expressed in leaves and roots. PutCu/Zn-SOD gene expression was inducible by 60 mM NaHCO3, 150 mM NaCl, and 1.8 mM H2O2. The differential mRNA expression of PutCu/Zn-SOD was observed for leaves and roots exposed to salinity, alkalinity or oxidative stress. The overexpression of PutCu/Zn-SOD gene in transgenic yeast and Arabidopsis plants increased resistance to multiple abiotic stresses. Transgenic Arabidopsis seedlings exhibited elevated total SOD activity. This study suggested that PutCu/Zn-SOD gene can play an important role in multiple stress.
KeywordsBicarbonate Salinity Oxidative stress Arabidopsis Yeast Gene expression
This work was funded by the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. DL13EA07) and Natural Science Foundation of Heilongjiang Province of China (No. C201342).
- Altschul SF, Gish W, Miller W, Myers EW, Lipman DJ (1990) Basic local alignment search tool. J Mol Biol 215(3):403–410Google Scholar
- Chatzidimitriadou K, Nianiou-Obeidat I, Madesis P, Perl-Treves R, Tsaftaris A (2009) Expression of SOD transgene in pepper confer stress tolerance and improve shoot regeneration. Electron J Biotechnol 12(4):7–8Google Scholar
- Jing X, Hou P, Lu Y, Deng S, Li N, Zhao R, Sun J, Wang Y, Han Y, Lang T, Ding M, Shen X, Chen S (2015) Overexpression of copper/zinc superoxide dismutase from mangrove Kandelia candel in tobacco enhances salinity tolerance by the reduction of reactive oxygen species in chloroplast. Front Plant Sci 6:13CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Qu CP, Xu ZR, Liu GJ, Liu C, Li Y, Wei ZG, Liu GF (2010) Differential expression of copper-zinc superoxide dismutase gene of Polygonum sibiricum leaves, stems and underground stems, subjected to high-salt stress. Int J Mol Sci 11:5234–5245Google Scholar
- Rhee JS, Kim RO, Choi HG, Lee J, Lee YM, Lee JS (2011) Molecular and biochemical modulation of heat shock protein 20 (Hsp20) gene by temperature stress and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in the monogonont rotifer, Brachionus sp. Comp Biochem Physiol C: Toxicol Pharmacol 154:19–27Google Scholar