Effects of light emitting diode irradiation at night on abscisic acid metabolism and anthocyanin synthesis in grapes in different growing seasons
- 520 Downloads
The effects of red- and blue-light irradiation at night on abscisic acid (ABA) synthesis and anthocyanin and sugar concentrations were examined in grape vines, which were grown in two different seasons. In grapes cultivated with early heating, the ABA concentrations were highest in blue-light-emitting diode (LED)-treated skin; however, those in grapes cultivated in the ordinary growing season were highest in red-LED-treated skin. The expressions of 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase (VvNCED1) and ABA 8′-hydroxylase (VvCYP707A1) were high in each treatment at veraison regardless of the growing season. In both seasons, anthocyanin concentrations were highest under the blue-LED treatment, followed by the red-LED treatment. The expressions of VlMYBA1-2, VlMYBA2, and VvUFGT coincided with anthocyanin concentrations. Sugar concentrations were increased by the blue-or red-LED treatment dependent on the growing season. The results suggest that blue- or red-LED irradiation at night may influence the ABA and anthocyanin metabolism including VvNCED1, VlMYBA1-2, and VlMYBA2 and sugar synthesis in grape berries, although the degree of the effects differs with the growing season.
KeywordsABA Anthocyanin LED Grapes
This research was supported by JSPS KAKENHI, Grant Number 25450041.
- Kamuro Y, Tohyama T, Okabe K (2003) New functional photo-selective sheets. Regul Plant Growth Dev 38:132–138Google Scholar
- Morrison JC, Noble AC (1990) The effects of leaf and cluster shading on the composition of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes and on fruit and wine sensory properties. Am J Enol Vitic 41:193–200Google Scholar
- Peppi MC, Fidelibus MW, Dokoozlian N (2006) Abscisic acid application timing and concentration affect firmness, pigmentation, and color of ‘Flame Seedless’ grapes. HortScience 241:1440–1445Google Scholar
- Proctor JTA (1974) Color stimulation in attached apples with supplementary light. Can J Plant Sci 54:499–503Google Scholar
- Shiraishi S, Hsiung TC, Shiraishi M, Kitazaki M (1997) Effect of light intensity on the photosynthetic rate of Vitis. Sci Bull Fac Kyushu Univ 51:103–109Google Scholar
- Zifkin M, Jin A, Ozga JA, Zaharia LI, Schernthaner JP, Gesell A et al (2012) Gene expression and metabolite profiling of developing highbush blueberry fruit indicates transcriptional regulation of flavonoid metabolism and activation of abscisic acid metabolism. Plant Physiol 158:200–224CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar