Genetic diversity trend of common wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) in China revealed with AFLP markers
- 78 Downloads
A total of 242 accessions of common wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) released in China since the 1940s were evaluated with AFLP (amplified fragment length polymorphism) technique. Genetic diversity was analyzed using five pairs of polymorphic primer combinations with 245 polymorphic bands. The highest genetic diversity was found in the accessions of the 1950s, and in the next place was that in the 1940s. The genetic diversity began to descend in the 1960s, and fell to the lowest in the 1970s. After that, the genetic diversity came back to some extent in the 1980s, however, it became much lower in the 1990s compared with that in the 1940–1950s. Landraces and introduced accessions from foreign countries showed greater genetic diversity in comparison to improved varieties. In addition, greater genetic diversity was observed in winter wheat. It was emphasized that great attention should be paid on further exploration of genetic diversity in wheat breeding program.
KeywordsAFLP (amplified fragment length polymorphism) Common wheat Genetic diversity Triticum aestivum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrett, B.A., Kidwell, K.K. 1998AFLP-based genetic diversity assessment among wheat cultivars from the Pacific NorthwestCrop Sci.3812611271Google Scholar
- Bohn, M., Utz, H.F., Melchinger, A. 1999Genetic similarities among winter wheat cultivars determined on the basis of RFLPs, AFLPs, and SSRs and their use for predicting progeny varianceCrop Sci.39228237Google Scholar
- He, Z.H.Rajaram, S.Xin, Z.Y.Huang, G.Z. eds. 2001A History of Wheat Breeding in ChinaCIMMYTMexico, D.FGoogle Scholar
- Jin, S.B. 1983Chinese Wheat Varieties and their PedigreeAgricultural PressBeijing, China(in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Kim, H.S., Ward, R.W. 2000Patterns of RFLP-based genetic diversity in germplasm pools of common wheat with different geographical or breeding program origins Euphytica115197208Google Scholar
- Liu, S.C., Zheng, D.S., Cao, Y.S., Song, C.H., Meng, M.Y 2000Genetic diversity of landrace and bred varieties of wheat in China (in Chinese)Sci. Agric. Sin.332024Google Scholar
- Manifesto, M.M., Schlatter, A.R., Hopp, H.E., Suarez, E.Y., Dubcovsky, J. 2001Quantitative evaluation of genetic diversity in wheat germplasm using molecular markersCrop Sci41682690Google Scholar
- Zhang, Z.Q., Zheng, Y.L., Wei, Y.M., Wu., W, Zhou, Y.H., Liu, D.C, Lan, X.J. 2002Analysis on genetic diversity among Sichuan wheat cultivars based on SSR markers (in Chinese)J. Triticeae Crops2259Google Scholar
- Zhu, L.C., Tang, G.S., Hazen, S.P., Kim, H.S., Ward, R.W 1999Wheat genetic diversity and evolution in Shaanxi province revealed by RFLP (in Chinese)Acta Botanica Boreali- Occidentalia Sinica19208213Google Scholar