Characterisation and Variation of Morphological Traits and Storage Proteins in Spanish Emmer Wheat Germplasm (Triticum Dicoccon)
Emmer wheat is hulled wheat that was wide cultivated in Spain at the past. Actually, the most of this germplasm is conserved in Germplasm Banks, and only two small populations have been found in Asturias (North of Spain) in a recent collecting mission. In this work, a collection of 31 Spanish emmer lines developed from identical number of accessions of two Germplasm Banks was analysed for morphological spike traits and seed storage protein composition. Up to seven different botanical varieties were detected, which suggest the presence of a wide diversity, although lower than the historically described 10 botanical varieties. At level of seed storage proteins, the lines showed a high diversity, although the new alleles were present with low frequency in materials with scarce agronomic interest for the farmers (var. atratum, var. lagascae or var. pycnurum). This last circumstance could translate in a lost of variability by genetic drift.
KeywordsEmmer wheats Genetic resources Morphology Seed storage proteins Triticum dicoccon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alvargonzalez C. (1908). La escandasu origen y su cultivo. Gijón, Spain Google Scholar
- Columela L.J.M. 1979. Los doce libros de Agricultura. Sociedad Nestlé, A.E.P.A. SantaderSpain. (Translated from the Latin by J.M. Alvarez de Sotomayor in 1824).Google Scholar
- Dotlacil L., Hermuth J., Stehno Z. and Manev M. (2000). Diversity in European winter wheat landraces and obsolete cultivars. Czech. J. Genet. Plant Breed. 16: 29–36Google Scholar
- McIntosh R.A., Hart G.E., Devos K.M., Gale M.D. and Rogers W.J. 1998, 2003. Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat. In: Proceedings of 9th International Wheat Genetic Symposium Vol. 5. University Extension Press. University of Saskatchewan, 235 p., Supplement.Google Scholar
- Peña-Chocarro L. (1995). In situ conservation of hulled wheat species: the case of Spain. In: Padulosi, S., Hammer, K. and Heller, J. (eds) Hulled Wheats, IPGRI, RomeItaly 130–148Google Scholar
- Stirling J. (1995, 1997). Lexicon nominum herbarumarborum frutiqumque linguae latinae. I: 19; II: 245. Encyclopaedia, BudapestGoogle Scholar
- Szabó A.T. and Hammer K. (1996). Notes on the taxonomy of farro: Triticum monococcum T. dicoccon T. spelta. In: Padulosi, S., Hammer, K. and Heller, J. (eds) Hulled Wheats, IPGRI, RomeItaly 2–39Google Scholar
- Tellez-Molina R. and Alonso-Peña M. (1952). Los trigos de la Ceres Hispanica de Lagasca y Clemente. Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Agronómicas, MadridSpain, 516Google Scholar