A rotating Michelson interferometer from the co-rotating point of view
- 91 Downloads
The phase shift induced by a uniform rotation in a Michelson interferometer is re-derived in the geometrical framework of the coordinate-free formalism of general relativity from the co-rotating point of view. The effect is second order in the ratio of the interferometer’s speed to the speed of light and further suppressed by the ratio of the length of the interferometer’s arms to the radius of rotation. The relation of the effect to gravitational time dilation is discussed.
KeywordsMichelson interferometry Speed of light in non-inertial frame of reference Gravitational time dilation Equivalence principle Rotation sensing
I would like to thank V.I. Ritus for pointing out the analogy between the phase shifts induced by terrestrial gravity and by a uniform rotation in a Michelson interferometer. I am also indebted to G.B. Malykin for having stimulated the re-derivation of the phase shift formula from the co-rotating point of view and to J.-P. Zendri for carefully reading the manuscript and related comments.
- 2.Bażański, S.L.: The split and propagation of light rays in relativity. In: Harvey, A. (ed.) On Einstein’s Path: Essays in Honor of Engelbert Schucking, p. 81. Springer, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Bażański, S.L.: Some properties of light propagation in relativity. In: Rembielinski, J. (ed.) Particels, fields and gravitation. AIP Conference Proceeding, vol. 453, p. 421 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Mattingly, D.: Modern tests of lorentz invariance. Living Rev. Relativ. 8, pp. 5 (2005). http://www.livingreviews.org/lrr-2005-5. Accessed 3 Jan 2016
- 8.Freise, A., Strain, K.: Interferometer techniques for gravitational-wave detection. Living Rev. Relativ. 13, pp. 5 (2010). http://www.livingreviews.org/lrr-2010-1. Accessed 3 Jan 2016
- 9.Pitkin, M., Reid, S., Rowan, S., Hough, J.: Gravitational wave detection by interferometry (Ground and Space). Living Rev. Relativ. 14, pp. 5 (2011). http://www.livingreviews.org/lrr-2011-5. Accessed 3 Jan 2016
- 10.LIGO Laboratory Home Page, project homepage California Institute of Technology. http://www.ligo.caltech.edu. Accessed 3 January 2016
- 11.VIRGO, project homepage, INFN; http://www.virgo.infn.it. Accessed 3 Jan 2016