Infinitesimal variations of Hodge structure at infinity
- 62 Downloads
By analyzing the local and infinitesimal behavior of degenerating polarized variations of Hodge structure the notion of infinitesimal variation of Hodge structure at infinity is introduced. It is shown that all such structures can be integrated to polarized variations of Hodge structure and that, conversely, all are limits of infinitesimal variations of Hodge structure at finite points. As an illustration of the rich information encoded in this new structure, some instances of the maximal dimension problem for this type of infinitesimal variation are presented and contrasted with the “classical” case of IVHS at finite points.
KeywordsHodge theory Degenerating variations of Hodge structure Infinitesimal variation of Hodge structure
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)14D07 32G20
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Carlson, J., Cattani, E., Kaplan, A.: Mixed Hodge structures and compactifications of Siegel’s space (preliminary report), Journées de Géometrie Algébrique d’Angers, Juillet 1979/Algebraic Geometry, Angers, 1979, Sijthoff & Noordhoff, Alphen aan den Rijn, 1980, pp. 77–105Google Scholar
- 6.Cattani, E., Fernandez, J.: Asymptotic Hodge theory and quantum products. Advances in algebraic geometry motivated by physics, Lowell, MA, 2000. Contemporary Mathematics, vol. 276, pp. 115–136. Ame. Math. Soc., Providence, RI (2001). Also, arXiv:math.AG/0011137Google Scholar
- 7.Cattani, E., Kaplan, A.: Degenerating variations of Hodge structure. Astérisque, vol. 9(179–180), pp. 67–96, 1989. Actes du Colloque de Théorie de Hodge, Luminy, (1987)Google Scholar
- 9.Griffiths, P. (eds): Topics in transcendental algebraic geometry. Annals of Mathematics Studies Vol. 106. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ (1984Google Scholar
- 10.Kato, K, Usui, S.: Logarithmic Hodge structures and classifying spaces. The arithmetic and geometry of algebraic cycles, Banff, AB, 1998. Amer. Math. Soc., pp. 115–130. Providence, RI, (2000)Google Scholar